What Preps are you doing this week? Part 10

How are you preparing
Arzosah

Re: What Preps are you doing this week? Part 10

Post by Arzosah »

Yorkshire Andy wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2023 6:55 pm I replanted mine a few weeks ago using weed membrane and a hot tin can to cut the holes...
Loving the thought of a hot tin can to cut holes in the membrane! Very ingenious.

As for my own preps - on the last day of our 5 day holiday (90 minutes drive away, nothing spectacular) we scrubbed visiting castles and horticulture centres and whatnot, and went to a shoe outlet :mrgreen: I'm the proud owner of some proper walking shoes, finally! Cost an arm and a leg, but there you go.
Cocotte

Post by Cocotte »

Arzosah wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2023 7:34 pm I'm the proud owner of some proper walking shoes, finally! Cost an arm and a leg, but there you go.
Hopefully you get half off if they've one of your legs.

Although I got a pricey pair of boots a decade ago before heading off backpacking Australia, they lasted over 2 years of very heavy use.
Well worth it as most shoes a quarter the price last just a few months
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

Cocotte wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2023 6:49 am
Arzosah wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2023 7:34 pm I'm the proud owner of some proper walking shoes, finally! Cost an arm and a leg, but there you go.
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: Take a bow, Cocotte :lol:
ForgeCorvus

Post by ForgeCorvus »

Cocotte wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2023 6:49 am

Although I got a pricey pair of boots a decade ago before heading off backpacking Australia, they lasted over 2 years of very heavy use.
Well worth it as most shoes a quarter the price last just a few months
I could mention Sam Vimes and the Law of Boot Economics..... But I'm sure most of you already know it
jennyjj01 wrote:"I'm not in the least bit worried because I'm prepared: Are you?"
Londonpreppy wrote: At its core all prepping is, is making sure you're not down to your last sheet of loo roll when you really need a poo.
"All Things Strive" Gd Tak 'Gar
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

On the footwear front I got a pair of b grade army surplus brown haix boots off eBay before lockdown for my allotment soles were probably about half worn in three years they've been battered. From allotments to days out walking to the beach they look bit tatty now but they are blooming near indestructible best £35 I've spent on footwear for a while
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
Frnc

Post by Frnc »

Grisport make light weight hiking boots and shoes and they are not expensive. Eg their Saracen leather boots, 650g per boot, £80.
jennyjj01

Post by jennyjj01 »

Fed the compost heap with half a dozen carrier bags of cafe waste+ all Mum In Law's shredded bills Plus some horse poo. Bought a soil thermometer to monitor the heap.

Priced up some plastic down-pipe with a view to making a neat hydroponic system. £8 is a bit expensive :)

Had another hour dedicated to pulling out B*****d mares-tail shoots. This is going to be a lifetime running battle: I filled a saucepan easily. Obviously I left LOTS of snapped off root, because these buggles are in my sown area. Objective: About an hour a week, NEVER to let any shoots reach 100mm above ground and pull out at least 100mm of root, each time. Experts: Is that a reasonable approach? :?: MIGHT buy some Kurtail. Might not! Probably not!

A few Taters and beans have shooted. YAYYYY. I must not disturb those babies while whacking mares-tail!

Sowed yet more seeds, this time Okra and leeks. I've sowed them into nutrient empty Coir compost, by way of 'Speriment.
Graceful Degradation! Prepping's objective summed up in two words. Turning Disaster into Mild Inconvenience by the power of fore-thought

Not Feeling Optimistic. Let me be wrong
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

After my last debacle of ordering a extinguisher off eBay and my herpes/ every ;) apologising the box got a bit "wet" ....

Wanted to replace an old one on the top floor landing must be getting on for 8-10 years old ..

I decided to shop locally and visited Screwfix paid a bit over the eBay price for a firexo 2l extinguisher but well Im going back tomorrow.. :evil:
Screenshot_20230428-223916.png
Box a bit dusty but totally intact no dents or scuffs....

Glad I made that call of getting it from a shop a mile from home Vs the feck about eBay / PayPal / the Muppets that sold me the extinguisher who used my herpes last time round who wanted me to print labels Re package as the box was pulp and await a refund despite photos showing the extinguisher valve head was bent ..

I had great delight in reboxing it with lots of polystyrene balls and chips :mrgreen: .... :?

Let's see how savvy the staff at Screwfix are .. now do I wear my Cumbria fire and rescue service high Vis when I do it 😂 (work bought fire wardens a fire resistant high Vis jacket which had FIRE in the back in the photos on line) but were ex fire service stock rather than just FIRE they had assorted brigade names on the back :lol:

Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Well Screwfix was very good / initially clueless. Got me a replacement immediately no quibble... Opened it with my pocket knife on the desk.. guess what ... Yep no pressure ..at this point a manager appeared and couldn't believe it himself .. 3rd one was ok ... Doesn't bode well the reciept will be kept for this one and a close eye kept on its gauge . Caused some entertainment in the shop with a few builders looking on in utter disbelief that they were US in the shop

Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Allotment is a bit behind this year combination of the weather / bird flu / CBA due to overtime at work I just want to relax on the sofa after work :lol:

So

Past few days

Spuds In

Carrots in (2x 6' rows)

Pumpkin's planted

And a grid of sweetcorn

I'm trying direct sewing this year since I've not got anything started in pots .... We will see. After all it's all farmers do.. bung the seed in and let nature do the rest.....

Got a new UV fly killer for the kitchen today ready for the fly's in summer proper catering compact rentokil version with the sticky pad catching medium for less than the cheap domestic hanging lanterns than usually die after a few months..... Due to our local bankruptcy clearance stock shop ...

Picked up a sam sprint copy in there too for £2