What Preps are you doing this week? Part 10

How are you preparing
jansman

Re: What Preps are you doing this week? Part 10

Post by jansman »

:lol: :lol: The tins will be dented ‘cos there’s lots of ‘em and it happens. God himself knows how much damaged food stuff I have received in my working lifetime,and always when 100% good stuff is needed!
The tins come on shrink wrapped trays. They are cut,stacked and ready to sell. Some on the trays may be dented. Nothing more sinister than that. :D
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

jansman wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 4:51 am :lol: :lol: The tins will be dented ‘cos there’s lots of ‘em and it happens. God himself knows how much damaged food stuff I have received in my working lifetime,and always when 100% good stuff is needed!
The tins come on shrink wrapped trays. They are cut,stacked and ready to sell. Some on the trays may be dented. Nothing more sinister than that. :D
When you see how many times a case of product gets moved there is no supprise some stuff get mangled. From the production line to the stock holding area from stock holding area to loading dock loading dock to hgv then supermarket main distribution site and onwards to smaller regional Hubs. Hand stacked into cages rammed into another lorry before it gets to the store
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
jansman

Post by jansman »

Yorkshire Andy wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 6:30 am
jansman wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 4:51 am :lol: :lol: The tins will be dented ‘cos there’s lots of ‘em and it happens. God himself knows how much damaged food stuff I have received in my working lifetime,and always when 100% good stuff is needed!
When you see how many times a case of product gets moved there is no supprise some stuff get mangled. From the production line to the stock holding area from stock holding area to loading dock loading dock to hgv then supermarket main distribution site and onwards to smaller regional Hubs. Hand stacked into cages rammed into another lorry before it gets to the store
I’ve seen a forklift take too much on because we were hectic and busy - then it has gone over! Just lucky the operator didn’t get hurt. He did ok though,no telling off. It was the boss!

Robert Frost.

Me.
jansman

Post by jansman »

Preps this week for Jansman? I have ‘blokey’ workshop stuff to do. Got a lot of chainsaw work to do, so I am servicing the saw and putting a new chain on. Plenty of logs. The more prepped the better. Fuel will not be short this Winter by a long way!
Non is massively urgent though,but I am keeping on top of stuff in case of falling ill and all that. I need physical work right now,as I am on my monthly Chemotherapy again. 25% increase,but yesterday I was very sick with it. Up to now I am keeping it down,and after this brew I am off out to do something and keep my mind off it. That helps!

Have a good day all! :D

Robert Frost.

Me.
jennyjj01

Post by jennyjj01 »

jansman wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 4:51 am :lol: :lol: The tins will be dented ‘cos there’s lots of ‘em and it happens. Nothing more sinister than that. :D
I think another aspect is that no-one takes the dented tins. I would .. for half price. :) :) :)
Graceful Degradation! Prepping's objective summed up in two words. Turning Disaster into Mild Inconvenience by the power of fore-thought

Not Feeling Optimistic. Let me be wrong
jansman

Post by jansman »

I processed enough firewood yesterday to see us through two months when burning starts again. And we use it,our burners are not high day and holiday. ;) A good job done there. I am getting smokeless fuel in too. It is possible that the price may drop,but actual availablity is more my interest to be fair. The less that has to be done in the Autumn onwards the better. Currently I am coping with illness,but time will tell. Wife also has phone numbers for suppliers of fuel if she wishes to carry on that way.
My other main prep right now is income. Fortunately my neighbour ( a social carer) who knows about all this,helped me right at the beginning. Very ,very soon I will be made redundant. It’s done under long - term sickness regs, so slightly different from normal redundancy,but money is owed. The income has only been SSP - £100 odd quid a week - but my benefits are in place to pick that up. Fortunately our prepping down the years has made us not poor,but not rich. Which is ok.
The main issue is my private pension (s) . My illness means right now that I can take the lot tax free. However,that would affect my DWP benefits- for what I consider to be the state pension I won’t get. As far as I am concerned I am retired Got to secure it for my wife in the future ,so advice is being given…
Keeping the pantry full and getting my wife in the habit. I’ve always dealt with it. Stuff like emergency lighting/ batteries/ and all that too. Her well being in the future is my prepping priority now. Forget running away from potential crises - this is a real one!
I’ve done some long term work on the house too,whilst fit enough to do so. Most building and diy I have done over the years. Kitchen was the big one. I have two small cosmetic jobs this week,and I am bang on target. The roof is in good nick as I’ve kept it right down the years. Everything I have done personally,I have found and recorded other folks to deal with it in the future. It gives me peace of mind. Under the circumstances,not a bad prep!

Robert Frost.

Me.
PreppingPingu

Post by PreppingPingu »

Preps for me this week are my usual annual refocus on prepping! I've not swung the board for months so apart from loosing myself in various threads on here, I am making a job list of prep orientated stuff.
Over the last few months, I have been working through and emptying over an under bed storage container. A few bits had be thrown, some put into imeadiate use in the kitchen cupboard and some used up before they were too far past the best before. (Even the vac sealed flour was on the turn) And I am also rotating my garage tin supplies. I need to order some wood in for the winter this month. Still got some from last winter as it was our first one with log burner so I made sure I over rather than under ordered last summer. Doing it now beats the mad rush in the September/October when everyone starting thinking, "oo it's a bit chilly, I've no wood!"
"Today is the tomorrow that you worrried about yesterday" - unknown
"Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast" - Red Dwarf
(Area 3)
jansman

Post by jansman »

PreppingPingu wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2023 8:10 am Preps for me this week are my usual annual refocus on prepping! I've not swung the board for months so apart from loosing myself in various threads on here, I am making a job list of prep orientated stuff.
Over the last few months, I have been working through and emptying over an under bed storage container. A few bits had be thrown, some put into imeadiate use in the kitchen cupboard and some used up before they were too far past the best before. (Even the vac sealed flour was on the turn) And I am also rotating my garage tin supplies. I need to order some wood in for the winter this month. Still got some from last winter as it was our first one with log burner so I made sure I over rather than under ordered last summer. Doing it now beats the mad rush in the September/October when everyone starting thinking, "oo it's a bit chilly, I've no wood!"
That’s the idea. You can never have too much wood. ;)

Robert Frost.

Me.
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

jansman wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2023 8:07 amMy other main prep right now is income. Fortunately my neighbour ( a social carer) who knows about all this,helped me right at the beginning. Very ,very soon I will be made redundant. It’s done under long - term sickness regs, so slightly different from normal redundancy,but money is owed. The income has only been SSP - £100 odd quid a week - but my benefits are in place to pick that up. Fortunately our prepping down the years has made us not poor,but not rich. Which is ok.
The system is so complex! Good that you've got someone who knows what's what as a neighbour. And I'm betting your budget, whether it's on a spreadsheet or a piece of paper stuck to the fridge door, is well worked out.
The main issue is my private pension (s) . My illness means right now that I can take the lot tax free. However,that would affect my DWP benefits- for what I consider to be the state pension I won’t get. As far as I am concerned I am retired Got to secure it for my wife in the future ,so advice is being given…
Good that you're getting advice - that sounds quite a complex situation. From reading various "money" columns regularly over the years, I'd say that getting people to put their advice in writing, even an email, is essential - otherwise, if a dispute comes along, it's just one person's word against another's.
Everything I have done personally,I have found and recorded other folks to deal with it in the future. It gives me peace of mind. Under the circumstances,not a bad prep!
I think this is a brilliant prep in your circumstances, jansman, a really clever use of technology. It's just such a shame that it's for this *reason* for you.
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

Talking of finance preps, I've got an ISA with one of the building societies that are offering 9% p.a. interest (on a maximum £50 a month, so it's not massive). But still worth doing, it's double the rate for anything else.

A personal finance decision: I was going to buy the dvd/download of Don't Look Up, that apocalypse film starring Jennifer Lawrence and Hoosit DiCaprio, but I've just found out the director is a major donor to Just Stop Oil. I'm not contributing to his profits or viewing figures like that! I'll wait till it gets sold to a tv station, and watch it for free.