What Preps are you doing this week? Part 10

How are you preparing
Arzosah

Re: What Preps are you doing this week? Part 10

Post by Arzosah »

diamond lil wrote: Fri Oct 06, 2023 2:58 pm Cheeky buggers! I'm KNITTING FOR XMAS actually :lol: :mrgreen: :twisted:
We want proof. Show us your needles with your WIP on them :mrgreen:

I have a plot for re-useable Christmas stuff, actually - I've found some felt in the stash I inherited from my mother, and I've always had loads and loads of tiny buttons - so I'm going to sew initials to the felt, made out with the buttons, and line it all with something that doesn't fray, like old t shirt material in nice colours.
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

diamond lil wrote: Fri Oct 06, 2023 2:58 pm Cheeky buggers! I'm KNITTING FOR XMAS actually :lol: :mrgreen: :twisted:
Hope your keeping count of the rows between the sips of cointreau :lol:

Tyre man's been today cars now ready for winter bar slowly adding more and more concentrate of anti freeze based screenwash .. some nice knobbly more off road bias rubber still sporting the mountain snowflake (winter duty)

picked up a set of spare wiper blades and put them aside when needed (got them cheap in Lidl for £10 a pair)

Need to dip the coolant with my hydrometer to check it's still offering the correct frost proofing of -20°C no reason why it shouldn't but doesn't harm to check.. I've got the tools so silly to ignore a potential issue (coolant / antifreeze looses it's efficiency over time )

Dad's 11kg refillable bottle filled up tonight after work £25.12p for a fill Vs near as makes no odds £50 for 13kg calor "patio " propane or £45 for "commercial" red 13kg propane refill

Soon = a substantial saving and you can top the bottle off at any time rather than waiting for it to be empty and exchanging it so get bad weather and it's half full you can top it up like your car when it's on half a tank ..
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
Medusa

Post by Medusa »

Just sent off the POA for my Dad and completed the donation form for Liverpool University for myself to be used for science/research. Next is our own POA's. The pickled cucumbers I made 3 weeks ago have been deemed very tasty by my friend and son in Law. Sadly I only made two jars as nobody else likes them and wish I had done more now and need to harvest the beetroot which have got very big, just hoping that they aren't too woody. Unfortunately nobody ever returns my pickle jars so I need to buy more. There is a solution in the photo though! Currently eating down the freezers so that I can defrost them Image
Growing old disgracefully!
pseudonym

Post by pseudonym »

Bear in mind POA ends apon death.
Two is one and one is none, but three is even better.
GillyBee

Post by GillyBee »

I have used scrap fabric to make reusable Christmas wrapping drawstring bags. Most come straight back to me once the gift is opened. It is popular as an easy wrapping solution for the arthritic family member and has the "green" stamp of approval too. Many have now been reused more than ten times, especially the more generic ones that also work for birthdays.
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

GillyBee wrote: Sat Oct 07, 2023 8:40 am I have used scrap fabric to make reusable Christmas wrapping drawstring bags. Most come straight back to me once the gift is opened. It is popular as an easy wrapping solution for the arthritic family member and has the "green" stamp of approval too. Many have now been reused more than ten times, especially the more generic ones that also work for birthdays.
Nice one! I started on the Christmas wrapping last year - I made "enough*, but there's things I want to do to finish it - eg "hapazome", which is Japanese - basically hammering leaves onto fabric, I thought holly would be good for Christmas wrapping. I've heard you iron it to make the colour fast. I'll let you know how I get on :mrgreen:
jennyjj01

Post by jennyjj01 »

Bit of a random Prep out of the blue. Did some useful 'networking' with a local Olio volunteer.
She's a direct link into the local Olio food distribution network and her circle of friends seem a well connected bunch of kindly volunteers.
I was able to do her a small favour and she told me more about how to get to distributed free food from the likes of Booker. It's pretty amazing how much surplus food the likes of Booker. Asda, Tesco and various caterers either throw out or quietly give away.
No. I don't intend to abuse Olio, but if I can save an occasional loaf of bread from landfill, it will be win win.
Graceful Degradation! Prepping's objective summed up in two words. Turning Disaster into Mild Inconvenience by the power of fore-thought

Not Feeling Optimistic. Let me be wrong
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

jennyjj01 wrote: Sun Oct 08, 2023 8:16 am Bit of a random Prep out of the blue. Did some useful 'networking' with a local Olio volunteer.
She's a direct link into the local Olio food distribution network and her circle of friends seem a well connected bunch of kindly volunteers.
I was able to do her a small favour and she told me more about how to get to distributed free food from the likes of Booker. It's pretty amazing how much surplus food the likes of Booker. Asda, Tesco and various caterers either throw out or quietly give away.
No. I don't intend to abuse Olio, but if I can save an occasional loaf of bread from landfill, it will be win win.
Mrs Andy has got herself quiet active in the local church group (now I know we don't do religion here before I'm forced to tell myself off :lol: ) so we will just say the local charitable group . ;) she's had me roped in doing marshalling at the summer fair this summer too when quizzed about my knowledge of marshalling I showed some old photos of 200 petrol heads munching on burgers in a marquee and behaving one on the forum who I upset had threatened to slap me for removing his advertising never showed up :lol: .. but networking is important she helps run the coffee morning once a week if she's not at work last winter it was a nice warm hall where those who were struggling could get a warm and a warm drink and gorge on biscuits.... Once a month they do the pay what you can breakfast morning doing hot rolls and hot drinks along with muffins / cereal.. can't afford it they don't judge ...

Mrs A made a passing joke end of last month there that it's pay day Friday just hope I can make it to work the cars low on fuel

(this comment has been taken down and a stern husband prepping telling off was issued :twisted: )

but she got home and someone had slipped a envelope in her bag with £40 in it..... We tracked down the generous giver by their handwriting on the envelope and paid her back and some flowers
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
jennyjj01

Post by jennyjj01 »

Yorkshire Andy wrote: Sun Oct 08, 2023 8:38 am
jennyjj01 wrote: Sun Oct 08, 2023 8:16 am Bit of a random Prep out of the blue. Did some useful 'networking' with a local Olio volunteer.
Mrs Andy has got herself quiet active in the local church group (now I know we don't do religion here before I'm forced to tell myself off :lol: ) so we will just say the local charitable group . ;) ...
Indeed. This is my point and one which I got often reminded of by Jansman. We can prep as loners till the cows come home, but being part of a local community is very valuable.
My part time job puts me in contact with religious/charitable groups and even with social services. While I close my eyes and mind to the religious aspects, I can see the good it already does in the community and the value it can occasionally and potentially bring straight to me. Just getting a foot in the door, put me in touch with some very useful people to know if/when tshtf in big or small ways. I've met some remarkably generous folk (far more generous than myself) and a few resourceful types including tradesmen and women. Some of them are affiliated with the church, but I won't hold that against them. :)
Graceful Degradation! Prepping's objective summed up in two words. Turning Disaster into Mild Inconvenience by the power of fore-thought

Not Feeling Optimistic. Let me be wrong
GeeGee

Post by GeeGee »

You all seem to have got included with various people well done it certainly will help
Very hard here during covid the neighbours reported each other constantly and now its a massive battle
I ignore most of them especially my awful neighbours next door come shtf i probably wont notice as theyre all at each others throats anyhow... :)
Today I've been chopping wood the high winds brought yet another tree down on the footy pitch near me and the council lads who came to remove it were the same I worked with
Hence one large tree in garden and me with my chainsaw and 5 happy ex workmates with cuppa and bikkis ( again thanks yorks Andy your tip for that works a treat ) and its who you know isnt it really ...
I grabbed some coal before the prices go up for Xmas period as they will.. and have recharged the lanterns and torches as we have had some daylight and even nice sun so the solar panels have worked a treat
Wandered around the other more sociable streets not far from me as I knew people were leaving apples and pears out in boxes and now got some lovely apple crumble and apple sauce..Will work on the rest tomorrow bought some eggs left at the drive of the farm also
My wild strawberries are still producing funnily enough
Small but delicious and a lot of them ..
This week im prepping for Xmas we usually go abroad but cant this year so we have a farmhouse for a week at the coast ..organised it all and can take the cat too if I want
( see u for Xmas Dinner Yorks Andy :) )