What Preps are you doing this week? Part 10

How are you preparing
Arzosah

Re: What Preps are you doing this week? Part 10

Post by Arzosah »

Duty mark, that's a new one. Toldja! So much to learn!
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Arzosah wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 7:53 pm Duty mark, that's a new one. Toldja! So much to learn!
Winter duty mark it's a posh way to saying tested to the minimum tyre industry standard for winter use..

This is the little begger:
IMG_20231130_200605915_MFNR.jpg
At one point the M+S marking was classed as a winter duty tyre

BUT
There was never an official test process so ABC tyre co decides that the "explorer" tyre had more grip in mud and snow than their standard "Roadway" tyre could slap the M+S marking on it with no official way of knowing/ proving it actually works to a satisfactory level .

Most European countries who mandate winter tyres won't recognise the M+S mark any more from next year that little mountain and snowflake symbol is a protected marking and they've got to satisfy the powers that be

If you've had too much coffee tonight this should help you doze off

https://snowtyres.com.au/learn/tyres-explained/
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

You're a hero! I've had a stressful day today, so I won't be reading it right now, but I've bookmarked it, I'm orf to bed sharpish. Will read it tomorrow. Thanks Y/Andy!
pseudonym

Post by pseudonym »

Started to stock up on condiments and nibbles for the Christmas period.

As it's only me I won't have any outlandish ones I don't like.

Cheese next week. :mrgreen:
Two is one and one is none, but three is even better.
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

pseudonym wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2023 9:48 am Started to stock up on condiments and nibbles for the Christmas period.

As it's only me I won't have any outlandish ones I don't like.

Cheese next week. :mrgreen:
Ditto ... caramelised red onion chutney, mmmmm. Chestnuts have been in the freezer since September. Sage and onion stuffing (a pack, the only way to do it :mrgreen: ) is ready. Still need some soy-based single cream. And I'm hoping to stock up big on some fantastic Christmas puddings that went on sale on Boxing Day.
deckard

Post by deckard »

The wife has been granted an allotment, half a plot.

It looks a bit neglected, will probably result in some labour from me in the new year.

Not sure what we're going to plant yet, spuds and courgettes did well in our garden, peas and runner beans too. Suggestions, tips and advice more than welcome!
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

deckard wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2023 10:48 pm The wife has been granted an allotment, half a plot.

It looks a bit neglected, will probably result in some labour from me in the new year.

Not sure what we're going to plant yet, spuds and courgettes did well in our garden, peas and runner beans too. Suggestions, tips and advice more than welcome!

Spuds are good for clearing the area once clear the repeated earthing up means you keep disturbing the weeds
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
jennyjj01

Post by jennyjj01 »

deckard wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2023 10:48 pm The wife has been granted an allotment, half a plot.

Nice one! You might both need to be in the Gardens association if you both intend to work on it. Take it steady and grow what you can use. Also chat to plot neighbours to find out what works and what doesn't in that soil.
If you are a bit new to growing, plant easy stuff to boost your confidence. Onions, peas and beans are easy. Courgettes are TOO easy and prolific.
Graceful Degradation! Prepping's objective summed up in two words. Turning Disaster into Mild Inconvenience by the power of fore-thought

Not Feeling Optimistic. Let me be wrong
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

Congratulations!

Some other ideas:
- flowers to attract pollinators.
- garlic? You could do that right now.
- chives?
- you could get a patch of basil growing.
- check what others grow - I moved to this town just over ten years ago, only ten miles away from where I lived, but fennel won't grow here, its too claggy. I had a lovely big fennel in my previous house, and soil that I packed around the plants I was moving contained half a dozen fennel seedlings. They all died :(

Have a great time! Some stuff is bound not to take, but it will be great!

Nothing that's very deeply rooted yet - you want the produce, but you don't know if you might move allotments within the boundaries.
Medusa

Post by Medusa »

Not really a prep, more of an education/encouragement. Bought my grandson a gel cooker and a small cooking set so he can have a go at cooking outside, supervised by his Dad of course. He asked us for a camo rucksack, a child sized one so I thought that this might go with it. He loves camping out in his garden, sadly his Mum, our daughter hates camping. I think we put her off as a child!
Growing old disgracefully!