Evacuations-when you have to bug out in the UK

Homes and Retreats
Frnc

Re: Evacuations-when you have to bug out in the UK

Post by Frnc »

Expect the unexpected. Anyone could have to evacuate anytime. Middle of the night in winter, no vehicle, no hotel, nothing, just what you are wearing and can carry. Might be unlikely, but you'll die of hypothermia if you aren't equipped. One reason I have almost all my winter clothes out, mostly on a clothes rail. I know roughly where everything is, it's in order, base layers first, then fleeces, then windproof and waterproofs. My insulated jacket is on the door, hat in one pocket, gloves in the other. Hiking trousers on door, winter trousers on clothes rail. Boots in a box next to my bed. I don't need to fumble through drawers. Best to make an evacuation list and go through it until it's all more or less memorised. I also have it printed for reference in an emergency. I have map in mapcase on the prep room door, with compass. Prep room is next to my bedroom. I even have a bag of base layers on top of my BOB. I know where everything is.
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

I've finally got my bug out bag stocked up again, except for food and water. It's a hotel bag, really, it's certainly not meant for yomping through marshes and over hills, but there is a certain feeling of safety that I could just pick it up and be out of the door.

Still need to get dressed, of course, but the whole thing would be 5 minutes for me, as opposed to 30 minutes at best for someone unprepared.
Peter

Post by Peter »

Same here Arzosah a hotel bag or one to go to friends and it’s got wheels.

If we have to evacuate in our night clothes and bare feet, there are shoes as well as a full set of
day clothes each, and we’ve not forgotten a weeks meds, torch, Swiss army knife, a lighter and
some cash. Mrs Peter has a small shoulder bag with extras and a first aid kit.
There is also the car GHB if we can get to it, that’s got three days food in it.

If there is an on going or deteriorating situation we would sleep fully dressed then you only
need to grab your bag and a top coat as you go out the door.
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

Peter wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2024 6:39 pm Same here Arzosah a hotel bag or one to go to friends and it’s got wheels.
I've packed mine in a rucksack, but I've also packed a bungee cord that will attach it to the frame of one of those old-lady shopping trolleys :)
If we have to evacuate in our night clothes and bare feet, there are shoes as well as a full set of
day clothes each, and we’ve not forgotten a weeks meds, torch, Swiss army knife, a lighter and
some cash. Mrs Peter has a small shoulder bag with extras and a first aid kit.
There is also the car GHB if we can get to it, that’s got three days food in it.
The shoes aren't in there, but there are walking shoes in my car EDC. I really need to work on the food and water.
If there is an on going or deteriorating situation we would sleep fully dressed then you only
need to grab your bag and a top coat as you go out the door.
That's a very good idea to articulate that. I suppose I mostly think in terms of a house fire, which you wouldn't be exactly expecting, but there may be deteriorating situations, absolutely - SE England has had wildfires encroach on built up land for the first time ever in the last few years, and we don't know what unrest or riots might do. I really hope it doesn't come to that, and that individual problems like house fires are the worst it gets....
ForgeCorvus

Post by ForgeCorvus »

We stayed in a Travel Lodge recently (Not Bugged Out).

The catering took into account that theres a kettle, so we took things like:
Instant oats in a pot
Cup soups
Instant Noodles and Rice
As well as shelf stable sausage, sandwich fillings in jars, jam singles and squash concentrate

A couple of plastic plates (although one each and a spare would of been better) and a decent table knife for making sandwiches.

You can extend the life of milk by storing it in a sink full of cold water, and marg. by wrapping in a wet cloth.

We did eat out in the evenings though
jennyjj01 wrote:"I'm not in the least bit worried because I'm prepared: Are you?"
Londonpreppy wrote: At its core all prepping is, is making sure you're not down to your last sheet of loo roll when you really need a poo.
"All Things Strive" Gd Tak 'Gar
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

When it came to kipping In uni halls I used to sleep in a thin pair of desert DPM combats thin enough but warm enough when some drunken student returns and burns the toast evacuating the entire halls ...

For wild fire risk id keep my welding overalls or the nomex trousers and shirt handy. Think I paid £14 for the trousers and similar for the long sleeve shirt ...

For example

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/315782881023 ... media=COPY

These are NOT fire man's kit but offer some protection and won't melt and stick to flesh like polyester or other synthetic fabrics
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

ForgeCorvus wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2024 6:30 pm We stayed in a Travel Lodge recently (Not Bugged Out).

The catering took into account that theres a kettle, so we took things like:
Instant oats in a pot
Cup soups
Instant Noodles and Rice
As well as shelf stable sausage, sandwich fillings in jars, jam singles and squash concentrate
Really good point! I always have my own teabags in hotels :mrgreen: and yes, instant oats too - with the digestive issues, its the easiest thing, there's so much wheat in the bought breakfasts at that level.

I don't use any of the other things, but protein bars, a small jar of dried fruit, peanut butter and jam for sandwiches (GF bread bought locally).
Frnc

Post by Frnc »

Arzosah wrote: Sun Oct 06, 2024 9:08 pm I've finally got my bug out bag stocked up again, except for food and water. It's a hotel bag, really, it's certainly not meant for yomping through marshes and over hills, but there is a certain feeling of safety that I could just pick it up and be out of the door.

Still need to get dressed, of course, but the whole thing would be 5 minutes for me, as opposed to 30 minutes at best for someone unprepared.
Water's pretty simple. I have a few water bottles full. For food, you can just have some bars. I have lifeboat bars, but you can just have things from a supermarket. Best to avoid anything too salty. Also chocolate might melt. Personally I have a stove and some freeze dried meals. The stove and gas fit inside my pot, which is 1.1 litres, ie only about the volume of a water bottle. And a couple of filters and puri tabs.
Mad Scientist

Post by Mad Scientist »

Awesome preps guys!! Am definitely taking serious notes!