Securing portable power stations

Homes and Retreats
User avatar
Medusa
Posts: 647
Joined: Sun Jan 24, 2016 8:41 pm
Location: UK

Securing portable power stations

Post by Medusa »

I know that lots of us have these expensive pieces of kit. Does anyone secure them against theft and if so how? I could probably use a decent bike lock and lock them to the wall on a bracket but unsure if someone would just saw through the powerbank handle. Ideas please.
Growing old disgracefully!
Frnc
Posts: 5352
Joined: Sat Mar 12, 2022 1:54 pm

Re: Securing portable power stations

Post by Frnc »

Medusa wrote: ↑Tue Sep 29, 2026 8:43 pm I know that lots of us have these expensive pieces of kit. Does anyone secure them against theft and if so how? I could probably use a decent bike lock and lock them to the wall on a bracket but unsure if someone would just saw through the powerbank handle. Ideas please.
You could lock it. Or simply hide it. Wrap it in an old sheet or towel or similar, and put it in the bottom of a wardrobe or cupboard. I would only bother if the house is empty most of the day.

Small computers, external drives, and of course phones, are similar high value and easily carried items.
User avatar
pseudonym
Posts: 5613
Joined: Wed Jul 27, 2011 10:11 am
Location: East Midlands

Re: Securing portable power stations

Post by pseudonym »

The solar panels would probably go first here.

My power stations aren't on view so if they've broken into my house they are the least of my worries.
Two is one and one is none, but three is even better.
GeraldTheBonzai
Posts: 566
Joined: Fri Oct 08, 2021 7:52 pm

Re: Securing portable power stations

Post by GeraldTheBonzai »

Weird, I posted and its disappeared... 2nd attempt...

All of my stuff is in the shed. Most of it has been bolted to the walls (inverter etc) as have the solar panels to the roof, rather than just screwed down. The generate is chained to the workbench. I've also reinforced the door and bolt area. I'm working on the assumption that if someone wanted to get in, they would have to make a lot of noise breaking stuff.

I've also adopted a sort of DaneGeld approach. I've left a couple of things like power sander in its box plus a few other tools in clear view as you enter. The premise is that anyone breaking in is more likely to grab a few, easy to carry and sell on bit of kit, rather than rummage around (after making a lot of noise) to find the good stuff.
Frnc
Posts: 5352
Joined: Sat Mar 12, 2022 1:54 pm

Re: Securing portable power stations

Post by Frnc »

Does your shed have any sort of burglar alarm? Might be worth looking into. Sheds are obviously more vulnerable than houses. Expensive metal ones are usually bolted to concrete slabs. But that is overkill for you.

Another thing you want to watch is condensation on your expensive gear in there in the winter, ie dew point reached on surfaces. You can calculate dew point here...
https://planetcalc.com/248/
Ignore the writing and formulae, scroll to where you enter temperature and humidity. You can use a £10 thermometer that transmits to your phone. Or just go in and look for condensation on surfaces in the winter.