What Preps are you doing this week

How are you preparing
jansman

Re: What Preps are you doing this week

Post by jansman »

gadgetguy wrote:Got two tons of logs for free :mrgreen: mixture of pine cherry and ash will split them later and stack them for the winter. :D
Now that is a windfall !
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
KalPrep

Post by KalPrep »

Lots of tidying and sorting out storage etc, feel quite proud to have gotten some stuff nicely organised ready for some more stores to come in.
hobo

Post by hobo »

maddriver wrote:Haven't planned this out yet, but I figure as long as I have a mix of protein and veg and its edible I have a base to build on.
As always, Eat what you store, store what you eat!
hobo

Post by hobo »

Ordered lots of books! Some from amazon and some freebies from LSG - economics, peak stuff, doomsday, growing veg, ye olde crafts and more....

Ordered a couple of first aid and survival kits for the boys Go Bags
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B002 ... 00_details
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B004 ... 00_details

Planted more rows of potatoes and garlic.
Bought more veg seeds to plant.
edward.21

Post by edward.21 »

ok here we go...
i laid out the dimensons and ordered the materials for the pond/carp aquaculture system.
the local garden centre had several fruit trees on end of line offer so i got 5 apple trees, 4 plumb trees, and 2 pear trees.then i got them planted in (not an easy job in clay soil.)
i tidied the shed and started on the wind and solar installation and on the tripwire warning system (i'll see if i can post a tutorial on this when i get some more spare time)
i have vacume sealed the majority of my dry food storage (not an quick job,i might add)
replanted the early peppers, and planted tomatoes, sweetcorn, peas and sunflowers.
and scouted several possible bol's
were getting there 8-)
maddriver

Post by maddriver »

hobo wrote:
maddriver wrote:Haven't planned this out yet, but I figure as long as I have a mix of protein and veg and its edible I have a base to build on.
I know, problem is I don't really eat much from a tin, except tuna, so I've got a selection to try. In the meantime I'll eat most things so I'd take edible and nutritious over hungry any day.
preppingsu

Post by preppingsu »

maddriver wrote:
hobo wrote:
I know, problem is I don't really eat much from a tin, except tuna, so I've got a selection to try. In the meantime I'll eat most things so I'd take edible and nutritious over hungry any day.
Although slightly off thread, ensure that you have the skills and knowledge to grow your own. Store seeds, especially heritage, and learn how to save seeds from your crops. Learn how to preserve what you grow and that you you won't be so reliant on tinned food.
BigMacKin

Post by BigMacKin »

Just bought a 36 pack of butterfly closures, a 3 pack of hand sanitiser pens and a 2 tins of hand sanitiser foam - all for £1 each at 'Poundworld!' fantastic buys. Tonnes of other first aid stuff there too.

Also spotted at 'Savers', Colgate original toothpaste 100ml for 69p

Just focusing on food and water now, although seemed to have gone through some batteries during the holidays so need to replenish :|

P
stickman45

Post by stickman45 »

Using most of a forest to print my lists & plans!
Alleycat

Post by Alleycat »

Well I picked up a small pressure cooker in a charity shop yesterday, but now I'm a bit scared to use it after reading loads of warnings about them exploding....it looks absolutely fine everything is intact, gasket is not perished at all but the makers name (its not a prestige one like my mam had) is worn off so I cant work out who made it or how old it is - its not a twist shut one like the 1st generation usual type, its got a lid with a push down spring loaded knob on the top attached to a rigid bar (like a bridge) across the top - cant find an example of it anywhere.......any thoughts anyone? :?

Update : it is a prestige......just not a typical style, found Prestige on the plastic valve in the lid, will investigate ;)

I have now found out its a Prestige Skyline - manufactured in the 50's (probably) but looks in great nick - but will it be safe to use?