The Comprehensive Water Storage and Purification Thread

Food, Nutrition and Agriculture
BRITMILREP

The Comprehensive Water Storage and Purification Thread

Post by BRITMILREP »

Water storage is obviously the most important prep you can do, my food is coming along fine but I'm severely lacking in this department. I know there's a few little threads on various parts of this but I'm thinking about ways to come up with a comprehensive plan to totally cover my water needs so I thought I'd include everything together.

At the moment I'm solely reliant on a stream for longterm water supply in a SHTF scenario. As long as this remains uncompromised it is a brilliant renewable source but what would be the best methods for purification to ensure I am getting clean water everytime. Obviously boiling helps but are there any good mechanical filters I could invest in that don't rely on electricity or battery power?

Storage space is not an issue for me, I have an expansive attic with plenty of room. What water containers would people recommend? What purification tablets or methods should I use before drinking? How often should I empty and refill the containers?

I'm thinking about a rain catchment system to get a water supply which I'll use on the garden and for other greywater purposes (it will be a non-drinking supply unless in a dire emergency). I'm guessing its just a case of feeding my drainpipe into a barrel with a tap close to the bottom. Can anyone recommend any good bits of equipment for it please? Also bear in mind I live in scotland so I want something midgeproof, don't want any more of the little buggers than I have to have around :p

Lastly I'm looking at digging a pond in the corner of my garden which could be used as a watersupply for the garden if there's miraculously a drought in scotland. My main concern about this is midges, that's why I've held off. I don't really want an electric powered filtration system for it. I was wondering what would be the best sort of fish to stop insects breeding in the still water and if there's any other methods to minimise midges?
tigs

Re: The Comprehensive Water Storage and Purification Thread

Post by tigs »

Ready for Anything

http://autonopedia.org/ if still out try facebook https://www.facebook.com/Autonopedia

Area 8
pseudonym

Post by pseudonym »

Have a watch of these:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k3Rubm0tU4U

This is what I will be doing.

HTH
Two is one and one is none, but three is even better.
TorNicho

Post by TorNicho »

A tip for reducing or eliminating the problem of insects breeding in the water, is to put oil (basic lubricating oil will do) in the water. The oil (being lighter than the water) will settle on the surface reducing the surface tension and creating a barrier.

I used quite a bit on mine but with all the recent rain, the butt has now overflown.

But this really did work for me.
Optimystic

Post by Optimystic »

We have 20 5lt water bottles stored in the house, we have a swimming pool and water butts to collect rain water and we have about 3000 water purification tablets.

Once we empty a bottle we can simply refill with rain water and add the tablets.. ready for using the next day..

We also have a fishing lake about 1mile up the road in the forest so could hopefully use that if needs be for washing water etc..but would obv require someone to go and fetch it, which could leave us/them vulnerable but might be a risk worth taking in the long run
Pepper7

Post by Pepper7 »

The Berkefeld SS4 Water Filter looks like a solid bit of kit, do you have it yourself and is there any cons to it? Thank in advance for any feedback :)
TorNicho

Post by TorNicho »