Which knife?

Kit, Clothing, Tools, etc
ForgeCorvus

Re: Which knife?

Post by ForgeCorvus »

herbal_thought wrote:........ use the back as a striker for a firesteel (unless you buy one of they fancy new stainless ones).
Myth.
Firesteel/ferrocium rod doesn't care if its stainless or carbon steel..... You can make it throw sparks with brass, glass, flint or any other hard sharp edge.

Flint & Steel works better with a non-stainless steel (not experimented with a high carbon stainless yet so can't say that it won't work)

Sorry mate, you poked one of my buttons there :oops:

Mushroom: Can you post a link or picture of the sharpener please
jennyjj01 wrote:"I'm not in the least bit worried because I'm prepared: Are you?"
Londonpreppy wrote: At its core all prepping is, is making sure you're not down to your last sheet of loo roll when you really need a poo.
"All Things Strive" Gd Tak 'Gar
Darktide

Which knife?

Post by Darktide »

Hey mushroom. I know you've just bought an opinel but you may want to buy one of these whilst they are still in stock. Similar to the clipper model but with a thicker blade.

woodlore mora
mushroom

Post by mushroom »

http://www.woodlandcraftsupplies.co.uk/ ... cts_id=179

Link to sharpener. Wanted something quick and simple as I'm no hexpert!!
12mp82

Post by 12mp82 »

Darktide wrote:Hey mushroom. I know you've just bought an opinel but you may want to buy one of these whilst they are still in stock. Similar to the clipper model but with a thicker blade.

woodlore mora
http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B009ES9VM2/r ... wo=&hvqmt=

Have some from £9.99 as well :D Not good for EDC though
Stop, Read, absorb, understand, reply.

ForgeCorvus

Post by ForgeCorvus »

mushroom wrote:http://www.woodlandcraftsupplies.co.uk/ ... cts_id=179

Link to sharpener. Wanted something quick and simple as I'm no hexpert!!
Thanks.

As you say, quick and easy.

Let us know if you're interested in going down the hand-hone route
jennyjj01 wrote:"I'm not in the least bit worried because I'm prepared: Are you?"
Londonpreppy wrote: At its core all prepping is, is making sure you're not down to your last sheet of loo roll when you really need a poo.
"All Things Strive" Gd Tak 'Gar
Plymtom

Post by Plymtom »

I have long had a liking for knives, so I collect them yet when it comes to using them (probably because I don't do much bushcraft) I've yet to find one which gives me that warm cozy feeling like Harry Potter's wand :lol: I had one a bowie with an 8 inch blade which I loaned to a friend and never saw again it had a stacked leather handle, stainless steel blade with no serations :roll:
A good test for a knife to test it's ease of use I find is to do domestic things with it like chopping veg or preparing meat, no doubt if you are a bug in type like me for the most part you'll be thinking bugger this and grabing your favorite kitchen knife before you have an accident ;)

I should add and also question, I have never used a knife (or any other weapon for that matter) in an offensive or defencive manner, I have no great desire to either, I would go so far as to say I could be a danger to myself if I were to try, yet I still have a desire to collect these things and use them in a very "Ray Mears" ish way :mrgreen:
I have a strategy, it's not written in stone, nor can it be, this scenario has too many variables, everything about it depends on those variables, being specific is not possible.
munchh

Post by munchh »

AREA 3
I'm not antisocial, just anti idiot.
If you use the phase "man up" you have alot to learn.
"Wise men speak because they have something to say, fools, because they have to say something" Plato.
AntonOutdoors

Post by AntonOutdoors »

Anyone know Mora stockists in the Yorkshire area ( Harrogate / Leeds )?

Cheers mi dears
BRITMILREP

Post by BRITMILREP »

My latest project is to make my own handle for a knife, I've just ordered this awesome blade:
http://www.raymears.com/Bushcraft_Produ ... ife-Blade/

I've looked online and seen some brilliant examples of what can be done, I'm still not sure what materials I'm going to use but I can't wait to give it a go.
munchh

Post by munchh »

AntonOutdoors wrote:Anyone know Mora stockists in the Yorkshire area ( Harrogate / Leeds )?

Cheers mi dears
there are lots online?
AREA 3
I'm not antisocial, just anti idiot.
If you use the phase "man up" you have alot to learn.
"Wise men speak because they have something to say, fools, because they have to say something" Plato.