winter driving

How are you preparing
ynotshi

winter driving

Post by ynotshi »

well winter come around again rather quick :o i have been renewing my car kit some hotcans ,self heating drinks, blanket and a few other things and my girlfriend said why didnt i have any flares. i laught but then it got me thinking she could be on to something as i live in the sticks
if i got stuck like i have many times not for long normally around eight hours or so. what happened if i got stuck for longer i have enought to surive for a couple of days or to start walking home, a flare could be handy as its darker now but seems a bit dangerous to have in the car to attract help. Does anyone here carry some sort of distress becon thats safe to leave in the car, or just any ideas on what to get thats not to expensive
tigs

Re: winter driving

Post by tigs »

chemical snap lights go for 12hr ones in white , I find they are the bests . But you can pick up coloured ones from the £1 shops they last about 6 hours
Ready for Anything

http://autonopedia.org/ if still out try facebook https://www.facebook.com/Autonopedia

Area 8
pseudonym

Post by pseudonym »

+1 on the cyalumes.

I also have a strobe with white, blue and IR capabilities.
Two is one and one is none, but three is even better.
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

If on a budget how about some half decent led cycle lights. Look for the smart one with IIRC a 1/2 watt led its very bright at about a tenner from the on line cycle retailers
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
unsure

Post by unsure »

modern flares are safe to keep in the car , most japanese second hand car imports have them removed before they are shipped here but some do slip through the net .they are a legal requirement in japan , much the same as a spare set of bulbs are in france .
if your worried about keeping them in the car , why not look at smoke only flares .

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MITSUBISHI-PA ... 3f2a3fa31e
YES i walked away mid sentence , you were boring me to death and my survival instincts kick in .
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

how about these if your out to get attention

http://www.gaelforcemarine.co.uk/45375/ ... l-Kit.html

not cheap mind.....

but nothing gets attention better in some situations.... You will probably need a chandery to order you them in as they are classed as explosives no one will post them (unless they use a expensive ADR courier)

jansman

Post by jansman »

Forgive me for asking, why would you need flares?
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
Rearfang

Post by Rearfang »

Are flares not classed as a firearm now ?
unsure

Post by unsure »

iirc , there are different class`s of flares . the kind you shoot out of a flare pistol are licenced .the smoke only type are not . marine flares are just that , if you were to shoot them off with in 2 miles of the coast they are most likely to send out the life boat thinking its a marine distress flare .
YES i walked away mid sentence , you were boring me to death and my survival instincts kick in .
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

unsure wrote:iirc , there are different class`s of flares . the kind you shoot out of a flare pistol are licenced .the smoke only type are not . marine flares are just that , if you were to shoot them off with in 2 miles of the coast they are most likely to send out the life boat thinking its a marine distress flare .

They are used by MRT im thinking if your stranded in the hills or wooded area they would be an asset as even a small clearing you can attract a searching SAR helicopter getting them to you sooner....

Smoke even better as it lets the Pilot assess wind speed / direction before either setting down or winching ((watch helicoper heros/ Coastguard emergency type shows when the MRT or Coastguard crack smoke off for them before landing))

ive never bothered with them in land with a reasonably clear view of the sky a decent torch or even a makeshift CD helograph is probably safer and easier to carry and less chance of setting some moorland on fire in a dry spell,

As for legalitys the old MOD units are now a class one firearm as they could be modded to take a live bullet Newer civilian marine ones are plastic and IIRC you only have to be 18+ to buy them as per fireworks..