Dd tarp or snugpak shelter?

Got a question or suggestion about an EDC/BOB/GHB item, chat about it here.
eastmidsprepper

Dd tarp or snugpak shelter?

Post by eastmidsprepper »

Has anyone used either , I'm looking for a small pack size ideally as well as functionality.
Plymtom

Re: Dd tarp or snugpak shelter?

Post by Plymtom »

There are ways to look at things pros and cons wise to help yourself decide, for instance if you intend to have fire nearby, one which is easily burned through and holed by embers could be the bad choice, and along those same lines do you go for the lightest and carry more able/sturdy cutting tools- axe+bow saw blade rather than a flimsy wire saw and a "survival" knife which will both fall to bits with sustained use, in the knowledge that you can make a sturdy shelter.
Most people are talking classic bug out when it comes to these sort of choices, I'm not familiar with the products, but have seen many dilema's debated, most involve how much you can carry, how far you can carry it, versus how good is it, how much use will it take before it fails? Once you've made your decision, you really ought to test the kit in the field so to speak, when you are talking about quality and expensive kit, making the best choices on your budget and filling your bag with the best, reputable gear, will not make you as able as a bit of practice.
I have a strategy, it's not written in stone, nor can it be, this scenario has too many variables, everything about it depends on those variables, being specific is not possible.
Briggs

Post by Briggs »

I have a DD 3m x 3m tarp in olive green. Its lightweight, folds up well and remains waterproof. The eyelets are strong. I've been under it in high winds and rain I'd recommend it.

Edit: If you're after a camo one, I've noticed there's some second hand MTP bashas coming up on eBay in the mid-£20 range. That's an alternative perhaps.
Last edited by Briggs on Mon Jan 06, 2014 1:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I recently experienced Plymouth City centre so that's why I prep.
pseudonym

Post by pseudonym »

Briggs wrote:I have a DD 3m x 3m tarp in olive green. Its lightweight, folds up well and remains waterproof. The eyelets are strong. I've been under it in high winds and rain I'd recommend it.
+1 to that.

I've had my DD tarp for 4 years now.
Two is one and one is none, but three is even better.
eastmidsprepper

Do you think you could measure the pack for me ? If you don't mind, where abouts are you in the East Midlands ?
pseudonym

Post by pseudonym »

eastmidsprepper wrote:Do you think you could measure the pack for me ? If you don't mind, where abouts are you in the East Midlands ?
It's all dependant.

I have mine set up with GITD Guylines, linelocks and stronger pegs.

That set up fits into a 10 litre side pouch with a Ortleib drybag leaving about 5 litres spare.

And I'm in the Leicestershire area.
eastmidsprepper

I'm in coalville , if you ever need any help with any of your regional roles give me a shout.
pseudonym

Post by pseudonym »

eastmidsprepper wrote:I'm in coalville , if you ever need any help with any of your regional roles give me a shout.
Many thanks, PM sent.:)
border reiver

Post by border reiver »

I think I read somewhere that the snugpak shelter suffers from condensation if I remember rightly ! I've got the smallest DD tarp that I use with a bivvybag / sleepingbag setup, I don't like to be surprised like you can in an enclosed shelter like the snugpak one.

cheers Andrew.
eastmidsprepper

I meant the snugpak 3x3 tarp , they call it a shelter.