Signalling mirror

Kit, Clothing, Tools, etc
eastmidsprepper

Signalling mirror

Post by eastmidsprepper »

Mrs was emptying her purse last night and I spotted a super drug loyalty card which has a mirrored finish on one side ..... And there free!
preppingsu

Re: Signalling mirror

Post by preppingsu »

Please explain how and when you might use that.
What code would you use?
Malthouse

Post by Malthouse »

Mirrors are useful for getting attention, though you could technically use Morse code it would be very hard to know that the recipient was getting every flash so really just restrict it to showing your location.

If signalling a pilot (spotter plane or rescue helicopter) be very careful not to flash him directly, (s)he will still see the light even though you are aiming for the fuselage.

To aim the reflected light hold your hand up next to the recipient, move the light from your hand to them and back again.

Plastic signal mirrors are not great, they bend and then the light gets diffused and won't travel far at all. Much better is a mirror polished piece of stainless steel.
unsure

Post by unsure »

i believe you can do the same with a CD , look through the hole in the middle till you find the target , be it a plane or person then you rock it slowly top to bottom .
YES i walked away mid sentence , you were boring me to death and my survival instincts kick in .
eastmidsprepper

Post by eastmidsprepper »

It's useful and free , not much more I can say......