How are you preparing
Arzosah

Re: What Preps are you doing this week? Part 10

Post by Arzosah »

itsybitsy wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2023 9:36 am
Arzosah wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2023 9:14 am
ForgeCorvus wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2023 7:34 pm

Excuse me if this is eggsucking.
Have you factored in stuff like cost of Road Tax?.... Specifically the weird way in which some cars have different tax rates depending on when they were first on the road.
Herself's Hyundai i10 is £25 a year, if it was a couple of years older it would be Zero...... The current model is £180
Thanks for this, FC - I haven't done a budget as such - I'm buying a 2nd hand ULEZ compliant petrol hybrid, as small as possible (1.3 litre on Autotrader is the smallest I can find), so I'm okay with whatever the road tax is. I'm much more concerned about insurance, and even breakdown cover, etc. When I manage to buy, I'll do a full appraisal.
Do you get breakdown cover with your bank account?
I'll check, itsy, but I doubt it - I got that bank account about 10 years ago, when I still had no intention of buying a car, so anything that included any car-based "freebies" was crossed off my list.
itsybitsy

Post by itsybitsy »

I get it automatically with my bank account along with other perks that come with the £15.00 a month price tag! : :? :lol:
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Just watch the bank account "cover" from a policy my mate had it was rac rescue level 1 which is a tow for a maximum of 10 miles no home start or onwards travel ... Read the policy details carefully for what ever package you have be it bank / insurance add on / standalone policy

Take the Lloyds Banking
Screenshot_20231024-155914.png
Basic cover

Screenshot_20231024-161839.png

You get a puncture with the can of goo repair failing at 4pm on a Sunday...... You'll get a tow to.a tyre fitters garage .. then you can practice car camping till 8am in the morning :shock:

These are the AA add-ons
Screenshot_20231024-160010.png
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
ForgeCorvus

Post by ForgeCorvus »

Arzosah wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2023 9:14 am
ForgeCorvus wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2023 7:34 pm
Arzosah wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2023 8:45 am Plans for today: a spreadsheet for cars in my price range on Autotrader. I've been rabbiting about that for weeks - time to finally do it, its the biggest prep I could actually do. I've started collecting safety supplies I already own, from around the house, I have a surprising number, very pleased.
Excuse me if this is eggsucking.
Have you factored in stuff like cost of Road Tax?.... Specifically the weird way in which some cars have different tax rates depending on when they were first on the road.
Herself's Hyundai i10 is £25 a year, if it was a couple of years older it would be Zero...... The current model is £180
Thanks for this, FC - I haven't done a budget as such - I'm buying a 2nd hand ULEZ compliant petrol hybrid, as small as possible (1.3 litre on Autotrader is the smallest I can find), so I'm okay with whatever the road tax is. I'm much more concerned about insurance, and even breakdown cover, etc. When I manage to buy, I'll do a full appraisal.
Ah, I would think that most ULEZ cars are in the lowest Tax bracket anyway.

Insurance won't be friendly (no NCD.... But at least you're not a 17 3/4 year old male, as quotes for that group can be well into four figures.... For 3rdparty, fire &theft !!).

Breakdown cover, there are three main suppliers (RAC, AA and Green Flag). Don't get yourself wedded to one of them as they have no loyalty to their existing customers (PM me if you want to know what happened to a friend), shop around each year.
jennyjj01 wrote:"I'm not in the least bit worried because I'm prepared: Are you?"
Londonpreppy wrote: At its core all prepping is, is making sure you're not down to your last sheet of loo roll when you really need a poo.
"All Things Strive" Gd Tak 'Gar
GillyBee

Post by GillyBee »

Do you have any family who work in insurance? Some insurers (e.g. LV) do a "mates rate" for employee's family members but their employee has to nominate you first.
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

Thanks ForgeCorvus, I was thinking exclusively of Green Flag, but of course you're right - no loyalty is given to the ones paying for the service, in any company.
GillyBee wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2023 7:36 pm Do you have any family who work in insurance? Some insurers (e.g. LV) do a "mates rate" for employee's family members but their employee has to nominate you first.
Ooh, that's a good point. I don't think I do, sadly - three nephews and a niece are all about investments and pensions, those married in are currency traders and lawyers and personalised travel agents. Not an insurer amongst them!
itsybitsy

Post by itsybitsy »

Yorkshire Andy wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2023 3:01 pm Just watch the bank account "cover" from a policy my mate had it was rac rescue level 1 which is a tow for a maximum of 10 miles no home start or onwards travel ... Read the policy details carefully for what ever package you have be it bank / insurance add on / standalone policy

Take the Lloyds Banking
Screenshot_20231024-155914.png

Basic cover

Screenshot_20231024-161839.png

You get a puncture with the can of goo repair failing at 4pm on a Sunday...... You'll get a tow to.a tyre fitters garage .. then you can practice car camping till 8am in the morning :shock:

These are the AA add-ons
Screenshot_20231024-160010.png
Mine includes roadside repairs, including home address, national recovery of my vehicle to a UK destination of my choice where repairs cannot be made within four hours. Also includes onward travel if the vehicle cannot be fixed on the day of it breaking down or £150.00 per person for one night's bed and breakfast if you want to wait until the next day for the car to be repaired.
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

itsybitsy wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2023 7:44 am breaking down or £150.00 per person for one night's bed and breakfast if you want to wait until the next day for the car to be repaired.

Sounds like a free night away :mrgreen: :lol:

I'm with green flag as strangely they cover my tent when camping if it's damaged they'll provide a new one / b&b or rent me a tent for free and cover the trailer for breakdown ..

They won't tell you about your perks either mates land rover went bang in Cornwall on his way home from holiday .... Dumped him at a garage with the kids... I had a word with him found the policy book on line with in the hour having phoned them back they were in a nice hotel getting warmed up :)

itsybitsy

Post by itsybitsy »

It's not up to them to tell punters about the perks though - it's up to the policy holder to READ the policy! :lol:
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

itsybitsy wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2023 10:24 am It's not up to them to tell punters about the perks though - it's up to the policy holder to READ the policy! :lol:
Many people don't read up onwhat they are buying took out single trip holiday insurance earlier this year .. I spent a fiver or so more on the next level policy silver or what ever it was called which included flight delay insurance if held up for an hour or more we got £50 per person to pay for meals/ drinks / duty free whilst stuck at the airport.

We boarded doors closed and held on the tarmac due to military operations over Germany / Poland...

After an hour £250 dropped into my account mentioned to the wife that we are £250 up and that had paid for the family travel insurance twice and a bit over . The mother in law wasn't impressed as she'd gone with the cheaper option :mrgreen: kids however were delighted by daddy's prepping as they got some over priced chips and tomato sauce and a toasted sandwich each on the plane home :lol: