What Preps are you doing this week? Part 10

How are you preparing
jennyjj01

Re: What Preps are you doing this week? Part 10

Post by jennyjj01 »

Medusa wrote: Sun Oct 22, 2023 8:36 pm I don't mind eating out of date food myself and will feed it to my husband :lol: who will eat anything and if he thinks that it tastes a bit dodgy it definitely is! I am however much more careful when feeding my Dad who is 84. Anything which is more than a month out of date is a no go when I am feeding him...
Similar,
When 93YO Mum In Law was alive and with us, she was never knowingly poisoned :)
I've got MrJJ to accept 12 months past BBE on tins. He doesn't get to see the packets of rice or pasta. He would accept older stuff in a shtf world. He's funny about frozen meat and keeps trying to throw stuff out after 3 months. There's a diary for that.
Graceful Degradation! Prepping's objective summed up in two words. Turning Disaster into Mild Inconvenience by the power of fore-thought

Not Feeling Optimistic. Let me be wrong
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

Plans for today: do I dare to make quince marmalade? I'd like to keep more of the body of the fruit and not throw it away. Also, a spreadsheet for cars in my price range on Autotrader. I've been rabbiting about that for weeks - time to finally do it, its the biggest prep I could actually do. I've started collecting safety supplies I already own, from around the house, I have a surprising number, very pleased.
Frnc

Post by Frnc »

Tried my dehydrated falafel mix today. Pretty decent. It's got protein and carbs. I did it in the mini oven, but then decided to fry it, so I got a bit of fat as well. I made 4 from a third of a pack. The packs are on Nectar Price offer (40p off) at the moment, so I got another 2. I might just do them in the mini oven next time, got to watch the calories. These I can rotate, plus they have a long BB date (nearly 2 years). They were very easy to make, no mess. I just mixed it in a bowl and spooned out four blobs. Then flattened them slightly.

Also got a couple more Spice Taylor curries, on Nectar Price offer, £1.25 off. These have about 18 months BB dates. Long life naans only have 3 months, so just got 1 more pack of two.
ForgeCorvus

Post by ForgeCorvus »

Arzosah wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2023 8:45 am Plans for today: do I dare to make quince marmalade? I'd like to keep more of the body of the fruit and not throw it away. Also, a spreadsheet for cars in my price range on Autotrader. I've been rabbiting about that for weeks - time to finally do it, its the biggest prep I could actually do. I've started collecting safety supplies I already own, from around the house, I have a surprising number, very pleased.
Excuse me if this is eggsucking.
Have you factored in stuff like cost of Road Tax?.... Specifically the weird way in which some cars have different tax rates depending on when they were first on the road.
Herself's Hyundai i10 is £25 a year, if it was a couple of years older it would be Zero...... The current model is £180
jennyjj01 wrote:"I'm not in the least bit worried because I'm prepared: Are you?"
Londonpreppy wrote: At its core all prepping is, is making sure you're not down to your last sheet of loo roll when you really need a poo.
"All Things Strive" Gd Tak 'Gar
jennyjj01

Post by jennyjj01 »

Frnc wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2023 3:23 pm Tried my dehydrated falafel mix today.
I like the sound of that. Sainsbury? Waitrose have it.

You can easily make a falafel dry mix and jar it up, if you want a challenge. But I grant you, that stuff is cheap as chips.
https://jamiegeller.com/recipes/homemad ... lafel-mix/

Meanwhile, a shout-out for Patak's Curry pastes on 20% off offer at Waitrose. These little pots serve eight so are compact and great value.
https://www.waitrose.com/ecom/shop/sear ... Term=patak
Graceful Degradation! Prepping's objective summed up in two words. Turning Disaster into Mild Inconvenience by the power of fore-thought

Not Feeling Optimistic. Let me be wrong
Kiwififer

Post by Kiwififer »

Might be heading up north over winter (the north of Scotland that is) and I’m getting the car ready. I’ve had a sleeping bag in it for ages now but I’m looking to get a folding shovel, any recommendations welcome.

I’ve been looking at army surplus stuff but it’s hard to see what’s good and what’s cheap imported rubbish from China.
pseudonym

Post by pseudonym »

Tested the heating....

Radiators all up to temp, no bleeding required.

Woodburner fired up, works as always.
Two is one and one is none, but three is even better.
Frnc

Post by Frnc »

jennyjj01 wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2023 9:26 pm
Frnc wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2023 3:23 pm Tried my dehydrated falafel mix today.
I like the sound of that. Sainsbury? Waitrose have it.

You can easily make a falafel dry mix and jar it up, if you want a challenge. But I grant you, that stuff is cheap as chips.
https://jamiegeller.com/recipes/homemad ... lafel-mix/

Meanwhile, a shout-out for Patak's Curry pastes on 20% off offer at Waitrose. These little pots serve eight so are compact and great value.
https://www.waitrose.com/ecom/shop/sear ... Term=patak
Bought at Sains, but it is Al'Fez
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

ForgeCorvus wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2023 7:34 pm
Arzosah wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2023 8:45 am Plans for today: a spreadsheet for cars in my price range on Autotrader. I've been rabbiting about that for weeks - time to finally do it, its the biggest prep I could actually do. I've started collecting safety supplies I already own, from around the house, I have a surprising number, very pleased.
Have you factored in stuff like cost of Road Tax?.... Specifically the weird way in which some cars have different tax rates depending on when they were first on the road.
Herself's Hyundai i10 is £25 a year, if it was a couple of years older it would be Zero...... The current model is £180
Thanks for this, FC - I haven't done a budget as such - I'm buying a 2nd hand ULEZ compliant petrol hybrid, as small as possible (1.3 litre on Autotrader is the smallest I can find), so I'm okay with whatever the road tax is. I'm much more concerned about insurance, and even breakdown cover, etc. When I manage to buy, I'll do a full appraisal.
itsybitsy

Post by itsybitsy »

Arzosah wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2023 9:14 am
ForgeCorvus wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2023 7:34 pm
Arzosah wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2023 8:45 am Plans for today: a spreadsheet for cars in my price range on Autotrader. I've been rabbiting about that for weeks - time to finally do it, its the biggest prep I could actually do. I've started collecting safety supplies I already own, from around the house, I have a surprising number, very pleased.
Thanks for this, FC - I haven't done a budget as such - I'm buying a 2nd hand ULEZ compliant petrol hybrid, as small as possible (1.3 litre on Autotrader is the smallest I can find), so I'm okay with whatever the road tax is. I'm much more concerned about insurance, and even breakdown cover, etc. When I manage to buy, I'll do a full appraisal.
Do you get breakdown cover with your bank account?