What Preps are you doing this week? Part 9

How are you preparing
jansman

Re: What Preps are you doing this week? Part 9

Post by jansman »

Medusa wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2022 8:38 pm I have not really been around many people since the events of last weekend but needed to pick a few things up from the supermarket, bad idea. I got angry at the world and ended up very sad. Arrived home and made a much needed cup of tea and then set to processing some wood. Husband was busy with the chainsaw, I got the chop saw out and then decided to see if I could still manage the axe and spent a good hour splitting wood with that. Not only did we replenish all the wood we have used but I came inside feeling a whole lot better too. Wood chopping therapy should be a thing. I may think differently tomorrow when I wake up siff and sore though :D
I am guessing that folks like you and I find wood splitting etc. to be The Way Forward- in a happy way. ;) A lot of folks have ‘take exercise’ or make the essential move in a gymnasium. Not country folks with a garden and fire though. :D
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
steptoe

Post by steptoe »

Well tomorrow eather permitting is cresote the inside of the new raised bed before i line it with nylon membrane round the sides the bottom i used membrane but the type that lets water through butthe sides i use tarpaulin type to stop it rotting the wood even after i cresote , i will then may be next week start moving some of the rotted down compost heap well pen in to the bed as a bottom layer for the worms then throw in a fair bit of growmore i nthe deep bit say 18" down layer then add another layer 6" of composted waste and a good amount of chicken pellet then fill to the top with sieved and saved tomato grow bags i reuse year after year as i just sieve out the rubbish then add chicken pellet and sometime volcanic rock dust dependng on crops , the first year in the new bed i thnk will be peas and may be some squash thne year 2 will be roots carrots or a like and so on , wish me luck on the weather and the health lol but in truth i find working outside easier i nthe cold winter than the summer .

People use to watch the wife and i on christmas day at the allotment digging or pruning like we were barking me in a t shirt lol , they never knew i suffer from a over heating problem lol the blood goes slow in the brain and the brain over heats lol hence t shirt but when we moved here the first winter we were in the garden digging in winter and rotovating the bottom grow patch the neighbours said wow you are hardy where are you from lol
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Frnc wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2022 6:28 pm
Yorkshire Andy wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2022 2:57 pm Continuing the build the wife a car kit mission..

Mini gas stove ordered, small gas cartridge bought ,

Thermal work gloves/ hat

Proper survival blizzard bag ordered (equivalent to a 8 tog duvet) but the size of a VHS tape

Need a metal / enamel cup,

Got a softie copy jacket which I got the other year but it's a bit snug on me :oops:

Need a few brew bits and food (sachet soup or similar) already got 3 day life raft biscuits

It's only a small car

Already got the snow chains in and car breakdown kit
Why metal cup? Are you planning on using it as a pot on the stove? I would go with an aluminium pot and an unbreakable plastic mug. The hold the heat better and aren't hot to touch.

That's the plan I'm trying to keep the kit as small as possible as her car is small the stove will sit in the cup packed with tea bags / cup soup , she's generally got a thermo cup in the car with some dreggs festering in the cup holder :lol: a warm drink is a nice addition to any emergency in the cold .. found a ally teflon crusader type mug in the zombie stores today so that'll do... With the stove:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/175477122500

She commutes on major arterial roads so at a push it'll be a overnight camp out or stranded at work anything to make life more bearable.. that said there's a hotel across from work .. if it gets really bad.....

.there's a blanket in the car already but if it's a fubar time the blizzard bag will help no end warmth Vs weight / size even a 2 season down bag is bigger
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
pseudonym

Post by pseudonym »

Packing my hammock set up for a long weekend in the woods. Cold weather forecast with a chance of snow :D
Two is one and one is none, but three is even better.
Nurseandy

Post by Nurseandy »

pseudonym wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 2:41 am Packing my hammock set up for a long weekend in the woods. Cold weather forecast with a chance of snow :D
Nice, jealous :mrgreen:
GillyBee

Post by GillyBee »

Yorkshire Andy wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 10:57 pm She commutes on major arterial roads so at a push it'll be a overnight camp out or stranded at work anything to make life more bearable.. that said there's a hotel across from work .. if it gets really bad..
I had the hotel opposite in my plan for my old job. Do you have enough cash in the kit to pay for a night if the card system is down? I kept mine in a modified key fob on my keys so that I always had it on me but looked invisible to others.
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

GillyBee wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 7:17 am
Yorkshire Andy wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 10:57 pm She commutes on major arterial roads so at a push it'll be a overnight camp out or stranded at work anything to make life more bearable.. that said there's a hotel across from work .. if it gets really bad..
I had the hotel opposite in my plan for my old job. Do you have enough cash in the kit to pay for a night if the card system is down? I kept mine in a modified key fob on my keys so that I always had it on me but looked invisible to others.
Good call thanks she can put some in I'm not allowed money I spend it on torches :twisted:

Oh and snow boots little man is made up with his new ones .... Mummy's not happy that they have fold out steel crampons :lol: "he can't wear those to school!"
Screenshot_20221205-081735.png

Nothing worse than kids with cold feet

GillyBee

Post by GillyBee »

Will the steel parts unclip for school use? Or is this going to mean a pair of school only shoes as well?
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

GillyBee wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 8:55 am Will the steel parts unclip for school use? Or is this going to mean a pair of school only shoes as well?
He's already got school shoes these are purely for if it snows badly to go with some ski trousers it's not nice being cold in my eyes cold wet feet Is the worst thing going in bad weather

Frnc

Post by Frnc »

Yorkshire Andy wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 8:18 am
GillyBee wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 7:17 am
Good call thanks she can put some in I'm not allowed money I spend it on torches :twisted:

Oh and snow boots little man is made up with his new ones .... Mummy's not happy that they have fold out steel crampons :lol: "he can't wear those to school!"

Screenshot_20221205-081735.png

Nothing worse than kids with cold feet
Fold out crampons! Wow, never seen anything like that. I have used hill walking crampons, that you strap on your boots.
I have encountered smooth ice near the shops where I live, so I expect the crampons will be useful.