Has everyone coped with the extreme cold?>

How are you preparing
jansman

Re: Has everyone coped with the extreme cold?>

Post by jansman »

We will need no heating until we light a fire late this afternoon. In fact when I went to let the dog out at 5 am ,I left the back door open so he and cats come and go. Went back and had another hour. When I think,I used to leave for work at 4.30 am. Sod that! :lol:

When I went to make a brew,I shut the door ,and saw my neighbour letting the dog out. She shouted “ be glad to get into the heating!” :lol: It was 8 degrees out there,and to us ,relatively warm. Indeed it is.

It’s all individual I guess. ;)
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
grenfell

Post by grenfell »

Well I thought we'd coped well and indeed at home we have. Yesterday however I went round to my parents old house which we've got up for sale and is nearly sold only to find that we've had a burst pipe above the kitchen. There's a hole in the ceiling where the plasterboard has come down and because the utility is lower it had 3" of water on the floor. Water turned off now and most of it mopped up but we'll be over there today drying out , cleaning and up in the loft to find the problem. All fun and games. ..
jansman

Post by jansman »

grenfell wrote: Tue Dec 20, 2022 8:01 am Well I thought we'd coped well and indeed at home we have. Yesterday however I went round to my parents old house which we've got up for sale and is nearly sold only to find that we've had a burst pipe above the kitchen. There's a hole in the ceiling where the plasterboard has come down and because the utility is lower it had 3" of water on the floor. Water turned off now and most of it mopped up but we'll be over there today drying out , cleaning and up in the loft to find the problem. All fun and games. ..
Indeed,total lack of heating can cause this. We are definitely aware of the water here,but we are very simple. My youngest,bless her,had a CH breakdown this week. :( Thaw- time brought in a flood like you can’t believe. One advantage of renting though. The landlord has to fix it!
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
grenfell

Post by grenfell »

Yeah bit of a shocker to see the water running out of the ceiling. We did have the heating on low and it's been colder in the past but just luck of the draw...
diamond lil

Post by diamond lil »

Don't know about England, but the Scots weather forum is saying back in the freezer next week :mrgreen:
Kiwififer

Post by Kiwififer »

diamond lil wrote: Tue Dec 20, 2022 9:07 am Don't know about England, but the Scots weather forum is saying back in the freezer next week :mrgreen:
Sna’ on Tuesday in Edinburgh. The rest of it is just dreich as per usual.

That’s miserable, grey, cold weather…
Frnc

Post by Frnc »

diamond lil wrote: Tue Dec 20, 2022 9:07 am Don't know about England, but the Scots weather forum is saying back in the freezer next week :mrgreen:
Average for late Dec to mid Feb in south Manchester/Cheshire is 6/1 .
Forecast is around that, to slightly warmer. Only the 27th is lower at 4/1. In fact that is the only day out of the 10 day forecast on weather.com expected to go as low as 1.
steptoe

Post by steptoe »

jansman wrote: Tue Dec 20, 2022 7:59 am We will need no heating until we light a fire late this afternoon. In fact when I went to let the dog out at 5 am ,I left the back door open so he and cats come and go. Went back and had another hour. When I think,I used to leave for work at 4.30 am. Sod that! :lol:

When I went to make a brew,I shut the door ,and saw my neighbour letting the dog out. She shouted “ be glad to get into the heating!” :lol: It was 8 degrees out there,and to us ,relatively warm. Indeed it is.

It’s all individual I guess. ;)
LOL this is like when the wife and i had our allotments people use to think us mad up there rain sleet or snow but those were the days when my body was still sort of ok along the lines of i was so use to working out doors i would be out in just a tshirt and since the accident well i suffer overheating of the brain and again i could be seen in snow walking round in a t shirt lol , when we moved here from the south people looked at us like we were as one said oh southern softies until the wife and i were out in freezing jan and feb weather breaking up the ground and putting up a polytunnel lol , neighbours said jesus you to must have northern blood linesl ol , i did tell them that my dad was from very poor irish stock and never had heat in the house and grew up on a farm in ireland living in next to a barn , and my mum came from the welsh valleys and again no heat and well very poor family .

I think you can condition your body to work outdoors but some people just can not stand the cold , i love it that firsy breath on a freezing morning fills the lungs and the body goes holy ship , but jans i think or am guessing you have always worked outdoors so as i say i think you do get use to it .
Vitamin c

Post by Vitamin c »

Visiting my family at the weekend I was told that the lady next-door asked for help she is about 73ish no phone/Internet she had a leak and no heating they had rang the housing association emergency number it is a answer phone and it was full so unable to take the message so she went back into her ground floor flat ( the leak could be coming from upstairs) with a leak and no heating.
On hearing this I went onto their website only to find a expect delays for repairs because of the weather message surly they could of got someone in to answer the phone.
Fill er up jacko...
steptoe

Post by steptoe »

Oh can i ask i know alot fo you have woodburners now i want to fit one in the living room here or may be the back dinnign room but i want one we can pop a kettle on the top but i know little to nothing of brands to look at and so on i do not mind paying a bit extra for better quality that we can get many years out of , the room is appox 10ft x 15ft we have top notch double glazing and well just wondering what brand is a good one to look at , like the boiler guy that came out he said everyone wants worcester boilers and he said i am happy yot fit them but he recommend another brand he said the same parts fit this boiler as the worcester and it is aroung a grand cheaper .

Ok any points on woodburners sorry to hi jack thread just you all say about yours so never hurts to ask