What Preps are you doing this week? Part 9

How are you preparing
Le Mouse

Re: What Preps are you doing this week? Part 9

Post by Le Mouse »

Trousers making update: I'm halfway through. I've been stuffed by having a series of minor migraines this week (god bless my painkiller stockpile!!) which often left me a bear of little brain. It turns out using a sewing machine is like learning a new language - if you don't keep up with it, you forget! I messed up winding bobbins, forgot where the thread cutter was, all sorts.

I've added a couple of asian food bits to the pantry and may add more if Lidl still has them in stock next week. Lidl also had some Dorling Kindersley books on sewing, knitting and crochet. I have a bigger version of the sewing one and its good. I picked up the crochet one as I am determined to crack that one day. Attempts so far just lead to swearing :lol:

I've had my first aid at work training reminder through. Just got to get that booked with my manager when she's back off leave.
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

Good luck with the crochet Mouse - I went to a two hour seminar years ago, and my hands were in a lot of pain from the tension and fiddliness of what I had to do. Everyone laughed when I asked how much longer the seminar was due to run :oops: :oops: :oops: Knitting is good enough for me, French knitting at a pinch too.
diamond lil

Post by diamond lil »

I taught myself crochet when I was a lot younger but forgot now, prefer the smooth look of knitting anyway. :mrgreen:
WomanOfTheWoods

Post by WomanOfTheWoods »

I've a long list this week... In my determination to get organised, I'm prepping free winter feed for the hens. I've germinated hundreds of pumpkin and squash seeds and have just planted a huge patch which the hens will love all winter. I've also tackled a few huge nettle patches. The nettles are chopped up in big bins and will brew for a few weeks and will be used as liquid fertiliser. I'd happily work outside all day, but suppose I now need to chain myself to the computer for the next 6 hours to do some "paid" work.
jansman

Post by jansman »

diamond lil wrote: Mon Jun 06, 2022 3:20 pm I taught myself crochet when I was a lot younger but forgot now, prefer the smooth look of knitting anyway. :mrgreen:
:lol: :lol: The Duchess never stops either knitting or crochet. Apparently the dog needs a new blanket. :lol:
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
diamond lil

Post by diamond lil »

I'm on a wee blanket in Icelandic wool, mega warm.
Kiwififer

Post by Kiwififer »

When I left one of my old workplaces, a colleague from Hungary knitted me a scarf. It was the best present I’ve had in years and much more appreciated than the bottle of Laphroig the rest of the team gave me.

It was made with care, skill and effort. A classy gift from a classy lady.

We need more folk learning skills like that…
boltprepper

Post by boltprepper »

Hi, I've bought some preps today 🤓

Butane gas cartridges for my camping stove for use as backup emergency heating or cooking Incase of gas or power cuts.

Few of the things I bought to top up my supply!
hot dogs 59p cans
5kg basmati rice
7kg oats
600g milk powder
Bottled water
Salt
More bread flour and yeast
Golden syrup 1.5L

The man behind me in Aldi was buying over 40 packs of digestive biscuits! And at least 10 large pork joints.

He also had presumably about 40 packs of custard creams! I wonder if it's just to stock he's business place or if he's prepping too!

Extra Jerry can of diesel too, I noticed the price in my area is today £1.87 for unleaded and diesel! First time I've seen the price be the same for both in a while.
GillyBee

Post by GillyBee »

Ouch! I thought £1.72 was bad last week when I filled up. At east it usually lasts for a while although I can see that the fuel cost of a day out is going to have to be factored in more carefully.
We have been harvesting our pink elderflower and turning it into cordial. The headache is sterilising as the bottles are too tall for a conventional waterbath or the pressure cooker. They tend to grow mould if I just hot bottle so I am trying steam sterilisation this year by inverting a big pan over the top of another big pan with boiling water in it and letting them sit in the steam a bit like a baby bottle steriliser. I will still shove some in the freezer and in a kilner jar - pressure processed as belt and braces since pink elderflower cordial is part of a traditional Christmas for us.
Rusty74

Post by Rusty74 »

pseudonym wrote: Mon Jun 06, 2022 4:15 am Don't forget hot water bottles and draught excluders:

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyl ... t-excluder
something i stocked up on a while ago,everyone in the house has two each now and will be getting more in this summer before the winter,find bnm ones ok at £2.99 each
Remember the rule of the 7 P's, proper planning and prepperation prevents piss poor performance...