What Preps are you doing this week? Part 10

How are you preparing
Medusa

Re: What Preps are you doing this week? Part 10

Post by Medusa »

Today I have been mostly prepping for my Dad, he is own his own since we lost Mum and although fit and active at the moment at 84 I would rather he not be climbing into the bath for a shower. His bathroom is over ready for a makeover and so rather than just removing the bath we will replace everything. The bathroom is currently sage green (not avocado) and Mum loved it and refused to change it. Needs are must right now so we will be fitting the shower, grab rails, a comfort height toilet and a basin with semi pedestal so that he could sit on a stool at the basin if needed. Mum was fiercely independent and although we had a bath seat prepared which would have lifted her safely in and out of the bath she told me that she didn't need it. I only found out recently that she had been struggling massively but had refused to allow Dad to phone and let me know. I refuse to allow my Dad to struggle or not to shower so although this will be a family effort, sons trade account :lol: , husband fitting it as a qualified plumber and the costs shared between my sister and I it will be worth every penny and hopefully prevent any future panics or slips in the bath. He tiled the room many years ago, his tiling was dreadful and I had to ask him today how attached he is to it as it will be covered with shower boards. He has been away for the last 10 weeks and has lost a stone in weight so currently feeding him up and restocking his freezer with meals he can heat up in the microwave.
Growing old disgracefully!
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Found damp in the back corner of the camper .... hiding behind the draw unit seems fairly extensive so starting to get the kit / timber together to fix it the plywood is fubar think it'll fall to bits when I remove the wall paper
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
jansman

Post by jansman »

Yorkshire Andy wrote: Tue Jul 18, 2023 6:51 am
Found damp in the back corner of the camper .... hiding behind the draw unit seems fairly extensive so starting to get the kit / timber together to fix it the plywood is fubar think it'll fall to bits when I remove the wall paper
I am sure you are more than capable of fixing that mate! ;)
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
Nurseandy

Post by Nurseandy »

Wife's had to change her car rather suddenly and from a diesel to a petrol. That means I've 40 litres of diesel in jerry cans that I'm giving to various neighbours for tractors/generators/pick ups in return for previous seedling donations, help with moving stuff etc, credit for future transaction. Barter system in full swing :D
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Had a call from a mate he was stranded in town flat battery on his car pleased to say the little michalin £30 lithium jump pack did the trick with ease ...
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
pseudonym

Post by pseudonym »

pseudonym wrote: Tue Jul 11, 2023 10:53 am Renewed my passport online, took less time then to go to the Post Office and send my old passport back. :mrgreen:
Received my new one this morning, wow that was fast :shock:
Two is one and one is none, but three is even better.
jansman

Post by jansman »

We had yet another load of logs dropped off today. Ash too,which is great. My daily exercise was taken by splitting and stacking them . Approximately two weeks worth of burning there. For free. And when I say burning,it’s not just a Sunday afternoon ornamental fire; it’s main downstairs heating. Yesterday I was smashing up two very old and dry fence panels that my neighbour dumped.All split up for kindling. A job I enjoy doing on a bench in the workshop with the radio on. :D Now there is a pricey item! A medium bag ( which would just about light our two stoves for 5 days) are six and a half quid at the garage . The same item at the other end of the village in the farm shop is six quid. So basically I bagged a hundred quids worth! Added that to the sacks and bins stacked up in the orchard. Enough for two Winters easily.
Staying on top of our solid fuel is a big deal,as it saves a small fortune on our heating here. Just takes a bit of time and work,which is a good thing for me. I like to have things to do. Especially when it’s prepping and economic. I get a kick out of being independent upon a major domestic issue like heating the house!

Speaking of heating,we also refitted a couple of infra red panels as we have rearranged our two living rooms. Vacuumed the wall radiators too. All good to go. We have built up the electrical power fund too since the end of last Winter,so no concerns about finance either come next Winter. When I first fell ill last year we had to be careful with costs as my income just stopped .Not that we didn’t stay warm ,as we diverted money from savings . Now it has its own zone in the bank. That fund is spoken for,so when needed we just flick the rads on ( even easier being remote control too :lol: )

We also nipped into town. I needed some fence posts. Dealt with that. Went to Home Bargains. Picked up more firelighters and also thirty kgs of smokeless coal, even though I get it delivered too ,I take it when I see it. It’s a fair price,and I take it while I can. It lasts.
We also picked up some tinned foodstuffs too,along with pickled vegetables which are my favourite . Also Sauerkraut,a new favourite of mine. :D .
This morning our daughter needed indoor filler to repair a wall. I let her take a new one from the workshop ,so I replaced that too. I don’t like to run out of consumable products.Also got some more rigger safety gloves too. Most important!
Picked up more cat and dog food too. Most important. There can never be too much there,as we often look after daughter’s dogs too. They are important family members.

All in all, a positive prepping session over the last couple of days.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
GeeGee

Post by GeeGee »

All my preps for the coming week went out of window fortunately I prep for the preps not happening
Mr Gg supposed to get a call Friday to go collect his chemo and rest of medication to start at home Monday
I know a few others at home with their chemo on virtual wards ..he doesn't get that it is down to me to notice any side effects etc
Due to the consultants strike it wasn't signed off so waiting for a call to collect the chemo at some point next week now but won't be Monday as the yll be two days behind
Id rearranged everything to work round this as its exactly 12 hr apart it has to be done ...
Now Monday is free and wont be starting this ill be using the time to deep clean the room hell be in most get the table set up ive got a white board up so I can note the times and reactions etc but needed to get out and get a few more things for the deep clean so ill be making use of the time for that
Easy to sit back and worry as the delay throws a spanner in the works but ill use it to make sure I have everything in
More time to charge everything up too as no doubt the power will go out again
Vitamin c

Post by Vitamin c »

Yesterday I sorted out my food preps in the kitchen, larder is full and various kitchen cupboards have a mix match of goods all dated but spread around , after a good sort out I picked out just loads of kitchen items I just don't use anymore from electric knives to sandwich toasters odd pots ,plates going back to when the house was full .
Now all boxed and stored in the shed leaving me with loads of extra space for food preps .

A long boring job but worth it in the end.
Fill er up jacko...
pseudonym

Post by pseudonym »

Hit the Military Surplus store again, bought some extra collapsible cups.

My order of dragon gel fuel arrived. ( 288 packets for Trangia burners)

My mate gave me enough spare parts to make up another full Trangia set for myself and the rest will be donated at a Bushcraft Meet next month.
Two is one and one is none, but three is even better.