New prepper like brand new

New Members - Introduce yourself, and say a few words
Yorkshire Andy

Re: New prepper like brand new

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Mimijones16 wrote: Tue Apr 11, 2023 9:23 pm I do still and am convinced though that our downfall is going to me major power cuts probs some sort of flare and extreme weather event which if everyone prepped and remained calm would be and we would cope , in reality though people won’t will they , if i think of me say 5 years ago I’d be running to the shops , panicking and basically a mess where as now I wouldn’t I’d hunker down with my supplies and wait for things to be fixed

Take a solar flare and you've lovingly wrapped kit in bacofoil and put "kit" in a tin box...

What good is that kit going to be post Carrington event? When the radio / TV transmitters are likely to be toast

Also when do you open the box and get your protected kit out only to find another pulse kills it within seconds of opening the tin...

It has the back to the stone age risks but candles / oil lamps ,/ gas stoves will still work
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
Mimijones16

Post by Mimijones16 »

Yeah I thought this why would i need to protect my phone or whatever if no one else phone gonna work who am I gonna call haha
Zedsdead

Post by Zedsdead »

Welcome
Imo supply chain failure and power outage are the most likely situations to prep for atm
GillyBee

Post by GillyBee »

Hi & Welcome to the forum

You can get a long way by listing the problems that might occur, their likelihood and the impact and then seeing which ones you might want to work on and which you might say - "Well if that happens, I will kiss my family goodbye and go gracefully" You can then make your choices bearing in mind that the "mundane" preps would also help if a big one occurs.

e.g.
  • Risk of a house fire - High There are lots every year. Impact. High on a personal level but low on a national one. Mitigation, FIre extinguishers, insurance, evacuation bag, copies of key documents safely stored elsewhere.
  • Risk of a Carrington event. Very low but not non-existent. Less than one every hundred years. Impact. uncertain but probably very high on a personal and national scale. Mitigation: Ability to live "off grid" for a while with regards to leccie, water, sewage, comms, food etc while a "new normal" settles in. May need to relocate but decision might need to be made at the time as to where. (Avoiding riots or moving to a relatives long term for example) Low tech making & mending skills might be useful. (Hand sewing, mending, woodwork etc.)
diamond lil

Post by diamond lil »

And you can't just head north to the hills - because the hills are already full of folk who live here :mrgreen:
Plus a bare moor or hillside in Scotland has very little to live on and what there is requires snares, fishing rods, or a gun...
Go for a bag to grab in case of something like a fire or a gas explosion or riots? That's prepping. Start from there. And welcome to the forum :mrgreen:
korolev

Post by korolev »

Yorkshire Andy wrote: Tue Apr 11, 2023 9:28 pm

Problem with bugging out in the UK is there's so little space , imagine the peak District on a scorching bank holiday weekend then multiply the Chaos by 10 when people are in full blown panic and the ice-cream shop has sold out and the queue for the public toilets reaches back to the visitors centre :lol:
I did a "fag packet" calculation and where I live, in East Sussex, the population density equates to about 4 people per football pitch so if you bug out here, it'll be busy...
Frnc

Post by Frnc »

jennyjj01 wrote: Tue Apr 11, 2023 8:14 pm but a tent and a hunting knife are good for...
Armed gangs are systematically looting houses, street by street. They are almost at your street. You could try to fight them. They will probably kill you. Or you can bug out for a couple of days. You want to take as much as possible, because they will take everything else.

If the government tells you to evacuate due to a major chemical, nuclear or other incident. Or if the area you live in is uninhabitable for some reason. Natural disasters are not common in the UK, but they can happen. Our climate is getting more extreme. We don't know the time scale. The ice age only took 5 degrees cooling. The earth has already heated 1.2° and another 3 is possible in just a few decades. We've already seen droughts and floods, fires etc. A tsunami could flood Manchester, let alone Liverpool. How about a meteoroid strike? Not very likely, but there is one every few weeks. A meter-wide meteoroid landed in the English Channel in February. Small fragments may have landed in France. There is a 1-2 km rock that will cross our orbit but won't hit our planet in the next 146 years, hopefully. There are 1538 near-Earth asteroids listed on the Sentry risk table with 36,718 virtual impactor dates.

If your house is uninhabitable (eg fire, flood) and there are no hotels due to pandemic, or simply everywhere is fully booked.

If you have to travel more than a few miles, and you have no vehicle, and there is no public transport. Or the roads are gridlocked, and staying that way, with cars broken down. No one to fix them.

If you are bugged-in long term, and there is no help, and you are running out of supplies, you will need to go out foraging and scavenging. These trips are not the same as popping to the supermarket on a Saturday afternoon. You need survival tools. You might be away overnight. Someone might occupy your house while you are out. THEY WILL TAKE ALL THE STUFF YOU DIDN'T TAKE WITH YOU. Hopefull you can organise rotas with neighbours, but maybe not.

Some people did actually bug out during Covid. Some countries evacuated citizens from the Wuhan area.

Some people have said the UK is too small for everyone to bug out. It might only be people from your area who are bugging out. It might only be 10% of them. Or maybe in an extreme scenario, there are a lot less people around generally. The population density of the UK is 276 people per square km. But that's an average. Half the Uk has a density of less than 50 people per sq km. Cities have over 2,000 people per sq km. In the half the UK that's under 50 per sq km, almost all the people will be concentrated in villages. Everywhere else will have very few people.

Others will say, someone owns that land, they will shoot you. Much of the land is publicly owned, or the public have rights of way. Some is owned by United Utilities, but the public can walk freely over all of it. Some is owned by farmers, but the public have right of way, or are granted permission to use paths and bridleways. OS 1:25,000 and 1:50,000 maps show Access Land, national parks, rights of way, permissive ways, recreational routes etc. Cycle maps show other routes. Farmers are often sympathetic to the rural homeless by the way. In distasters, people generally look out for each other.
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

Hello Mimi, welcome to the forum. Check this out https://liverpool.gov.uk/communities-an ... emergency/

And then imagine they can't give you the help they say they're going to: after all, the NHS is suffering all over the country, voluntary organisations are inundated, you just don't know.

So, you stay home: they advise you to tune in - do you have a radio, tuned to a local channel, and enough batteries to use it? If you had to get out, do you have a friend you could stay with, even if it meant pitching a tent in their back garden? Formby is isolated from Liverpool by a lot of countryside, for example. Or The Moss (around Sefton Church) there are new roads round there, but if you needed a resting space on your way somewhere else (as opposed to a bug out) that would be very secure for a few hours - I remember how high the rushes grow, even a few years ago.

Do you have good walking shoes? Do you have a good map? Fitness is always going to be important. Do you have food enough where you live for 3 - 4 weeks? There's loads you can do. Keep posting :)
Frnc

Post by Frnc »

Arzosah wrote: Wed Apr 12, 2023 9:48 am Hello Mimi, welcome to the forum. Check this out https://liverpool.gov.uk/communities-an ... emergency/

And then imagine they can't give you the help they say they're going to: after all, the NHS is suffering all over the country, voluntary organisations are inundated, you just don't know.

So, you stay home: they advise you to tune in - do you have a radio, tuned to a local channel, and enough batteries to use it? If you had to get out, do you have a friend you could stay with, even if it meant pitching a tent in their back garden? Formby is isolated from Liverpool by a lot of countryside, for example. Or The Moss (around Sefton Church) there are new roads round there, but if you needed a resting space on your way somewhere else (as opposed to a bug out) that would be very secure for a few hours - I remember how high the rushes grow, even a few years ago.

Do you have good walking shoes? Do you have a good map? Fitness is always going to be important. Do you have food enough where you live for 3 - 4 weeks? There's loads you can do. Keep posting :)
If you click on the link on that page, to their pdf, like the government and my area's Cheshire Resilience, which the government links to, they have a section on evacuation and a 'Grab n Go Bag' aka Emergency Grab Bag aka bug-out bag. Also they have a section for In Your Car. These sites have a basic bugout bag list. They vary from a few items to 3 days food and water, which I think is on the US government page. Personally I think if you have 3 days food and water, why not a lightweight tent? The US government page does advise you to have sleeping bags in your emergency kits, and that your kits should be in a bag so as to be portable.

The UK government "grab bag" link takes you to Cheshire Resilience's how to prepar page, which includes an emergency grab list. https://cheshireresilience.org.uk/how-t ... emergency/
This includes 3 days water and food.
Mimijones16

Post by Mimijones16 »

Arrrrr everyone is very welcoming and informative thanks for all your replies 😊 does anyone think the power outages will be caused by a cme or other things