Hi everybody

New Members - Introduce yourself, and say a few words
theScepticalPrepper

Hi everybody

Post by theScepticalPrepper »

New to prepping and this looked like about the largest and best overall UK prepping forum.
My interests has been spurned by the UK government advice to have 3 days worth of supplies on hand as well as reading reports of more dire warnings in other European countries and memories of Covid.
Yorkshire Andy

Re: Hi everybody

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Welcome :)
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
jennyjj01

Post by jennyjj01 »

theScepticalPrepper wrote: Fri Jun 28, 2024 6:24 pm Image
New to prepping and this looked like about the largest and best overall UK prepping forum.
My interests has been spurned by the UK government advice to have 3 days worth of supplies on hand as well as reading reports of more dire warnings in other European countries and memories of Covid.
Hi and Welcome from the North West.
Take a good look around the forum : Lots of useful and friendly advice and chat. Don't be shy. Wade in with your questions and observations.

Meanwhile : Pah! Some good having 3 days scoff if Europe/UK/World goes through a proper crisis. So much for government wisdom. ;)
Graceful Degradation! Prepping's objective summed up in two words. Turning Disaster into Mild Inconvenience by the power of fore-thought

Not Feeling Optimistic. Let me be wrong
pseudonym

Post by pseudonym »

Hello and welcome to the Forum. :)

£ days is a start.......... for a bank Holiday weekend :lol:
Two is one and one is none, but three is even better.
theScepticalPrepper

Post by theScepticalPrepper »

I'm inclined to agree that 3 days isn't actually very much, areas hit by flooding (which seems to be an annual occurrence now) can take longer than that before waters subside, the empty shelves in supermarkets caused by panic buying during covid lasted longer than that too. I expect like the recommendation to eat 5 portions of fruit and veg a day it was chosen so it would be achievable for the average person.
GillyBee

Post by GillyBee »

Welcome to the gang! If you currently have nothing then start by getting three days in, then bring that up to a fortnight. Before going any further than that I would recommend having a very good read around the whole subject of food storage.
There is lots to read on the forum. It is easy to be sucked into the expensive "buy a year's food that will keep 25 years"but it may not be the right solution for you. Equally I think we have all been guilty of stocking up on rice and pasta without the rest of the ingredients needed to actually turn it into a meal or buying "classic preps" which the family refuse to eat or which are unsuitable for a special diet. (e.g. Do you actually like SPAM?)
bobble

Post by bobble »

Welcome from Merseyside!😃
PPrep

Post by PPrep »

GillyBee wrote: Sat Jun 29, 2024 12:35 pm Welcome to the gang! If you currently have nothing then start by getting three days in, then bring that up to a fortnight. Before going any further than that I would recommend having a very good read around the whole subject of food storage.
There is lots to read on the forum. It is easy to be sucked into the expensive "buy a year's food that will keep 25 years"but it may not be the right solution for you. Equally I think we have all been guilty of stocking up on rice and pasta without the rest of the ingredients needed to actually turn it into a meal or buying "classic preps" which the family refuse to eat or which are unsuitable for a special diet. (e.g. Do you actually like SPAM?)
Welcome to the forum. I agree with the above post. A fortnight will cover nearly all emergencies in the UK to date. Very useful if you live alone, and fall ill with flu or other illness. Store only foods that you actually eat, or in 3 years' time that 1,000 tins of baked beans may end up being wasted!
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

Welcome to the forum - I love the name, thats a good one.

Agree with a fortnight as a goal - between food, water, heat, hygiene, you'd be very well set up compared to most people. Also as recommended, have a look through the forum - there's an awful lot of information on here by now.