What Preps are you doing this week? Part 9

How are you preparing
Yorkshire Andy

Re: What Preps are you doing this week? Part 9

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

jansman wrote: Sun Mar 27, 2022 6:07 pm
Yorkshire Andy wrote: Sun Mar 27, 2022 5:55 pm Just seen some community spirit in action :shock: :shock:

Was in the yard clearing the accumulated junk in the shed :roll: started smelling smoke (acrid plastic) 11yo telling me there is a lot of smoke.. look over the allotments and council rec yep lots of thick black accrid smoke between two houses .. by the time id wandered to the rec there was about 3 people / kids on to 999... And a large gaggle by the houses back fence

Walked across to the estate there were three house holds running out garden hoses the time id got close they had the bin fire out (BBQ charcoal still glowing Into wheelie bin by the time the fire engine arrived there was nothing for them to do )
Lovely to hear that Andy. However, do you wonder at the intelligence of someone dopey enough to chuck burning coals into a plastic bin?

Seen it done before and dealt with it on a campsite some people have no common sense
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

Indeed ... I often wonder about the signs you see on plastic bins "no hot ashes" - turns out the signs *are* needed, after all!
dizzydays

Post by dizzydays »

Happens all the time down here - BBQ on the beach then lob the smouldering coals in the plastic bin. The council are sick of replacing them in the summer. And we wonder why the council tax keeps going up...

DD
jennyjj01

Post by jennyjj01 »

Last edited by jennyjj01 on Sat Jul 16, 2022 4:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Graceful Degradation! Prepping's objective summed up in two words. Turning Disaster into Mild Inconvenience by the power of fore-thought

Not Feeling Optimistic. Let me be wrong
jansman

Post by jansman »

I spent the day today chainsawing logs / wood and stacking it. Looking at the energy situation,I’ll keep stacking! Started a brew to go into my ‘water purifier’ :lol: :lol: :lol: and got a brew going through it too. ;) Sorted a new feeder for the fowls,and sold twenty rabbit kits - Kerching! And they want more. :D

Had a call from my gardener friend,and an ash tree will be dumped on the front tomorrow. Keep it coming… :D

Planted potatoes.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
British Red

Post by British Red »

Hurrah for ash...just awesome firewood! I've just thrown a big chunk of yew on. Man that's heavy stuff :shock:

God news on the kits, side hustles are great - country boys will survive!
jansman

Post by jansman »

British Red wrote: Tue Mar 29, 2022 8:20 pm Hurrah for ash...just awesome firewood! I've just thrown a big chunk of yew on. Man that's heavy stuff :shock:

God news on the kits, side hustles are great - country boys will survive!
Ash; seer and green,fit for a queen.

Robert Frost.

Me.
diamond lil

Post by diamond lil »

Some extras from Amazon - coffee beans, coffeemate, fairy liquid, as well as wool for knitting a wee blanket.
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

Bit of an odd one here: I was interrogating people on this thread about what little heater I could buy for inside the house - I eventually chose a small little thing from Amazon that only cost around £25 and takes little cartridges that last an hour or so - I reckoned it would give me time to warm up and then by the time I started cooling, I'd just go to bed.

On Sunday though, as I was having a walk round my neighbourhood, I found an early version of exactly the same thing, it's this
2022 March freebie stove 1.jpg
The house where I picked it up had a load of stuff all over the garden, it looked terrible, but this was with half a dozen other things right by the pavement. To be sure of it, I knocked on the door - big burly teenager answered, with his mother peering anxiously behind him, I think the knock on the door really frightened her. I asked their permission to take it away, basically. It's very rusty, and much heavier build quality than the one I just bought, and if it's useless because it doesn't take modern cartridges or something, then I haven't lost anything. But if I could clean it up a bit, then I have a spare one for my sister.
jansman

Post by jansman »

Arzosah wrote: Tue Mar 29, 2022 8:35 pm Bit of an odd one here: I was interrogating people on this thread about what little heater I could buy for inside the house - I eventually chose a small little thing from Amazon that only cost around £25 and takes little cartridges that last an hour or so - I reckoned it would give me time to warm up and then by the time I started cooling, I'd just go to bed.

On Sunday though, as I was having a walk round my neighbourhood, I found an early version of exactly the same thing, it's this 2022 March freebie stove 1.jpg

The house where I picked it up had a load of stuff all over the garden, it looked terrible, but this was with half a dozen other things right by the pavement. To be sure of it, I knocked on the door - big burly teenager answered, with his mother peering anxiously behind him, I think the knock on the door really frightened her. I asked their permission to take it away, basically. It's very rusty, and much heavier build quality than the one I just bought, and if it's useless because it doesn't take modern cartridges or something, then I haven't lost anything. But if I could clean it up a bit, then I have a spare one for my sister.
Well done you !

Robert Frost.

Me.