Small/cheap equipment

Kit, Clothing, Tools, etc
GillyBee

Re: Small/cheap equipment

Post by GillyBee »

You could try your nearest Chinese Supermarket. I saw one in mine a week or two ago. I am assuming that the
usual camping providers are out of stock by now but these are also used in the catering trade.
jansman

Post by jansman »

I picked up a new double pinion,1/4 “ hand drill . I lent one to a daughter’s former partner,and I never saw it again. No surprise. Chinese knock-off for eight quid and has been used several times already! In the event of power cuts, there is a possibility of ‘battery’ tools not working. In fairness,that is not likely in my organised workshop,but in the future beyond,I want powerLESS kit still handy.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
steptoe

Post by steptoe »

jansman wrote: Tue Nov 08, 2022 7:35 am I picked up a new double pinion,1/4 “ hand drill . I lent one to a daughter’s former partner,and I never saw it again. No surprise. Chinese knock-off for eight quid and has been used several times already! In the event of power cuts, there is a possibility of ‘battery’ tools not working. In fairness,that is not likely in my organised workshop,but in the future beyond,I want powerLESS kit still handy.
I grew up in the times of a carpenter used hand tools and i still have a full set of hand tools and battery and mains power but when you talk to chippies these days these kids i feel like a dinosaur but i know i can still hang a door or do stuff if the power ever goes out they just sit on their backsides whining
jansman

Post by jansman »

steptoe wrote: Tue Nov 08, 2022 7:44 am
jansman wrote: Tue Nov 08, 2022 7:35 am I picked up a new double pinion,1/4 “ hand drill . I lent one to a daughter’s former partner,and I never saw it again. No surprise. Chinese knock-off for eight quid and has been used several times already! In the event of power cuts, there is a possibility of ‘battery’ tools not working. In fairness,that is not likely in my organised workshop,but in the future beyond,I want powerLESS kit still handy.
I grew up in the times of a carpenter used hand tools and i still have a full set of hand tools and battery and mains power but when you talk to chippies these days these kids i feel like a dinosaur but i know i can still hang a door or do stuff if the power ever goes out they just sit on their backsides whining
:lol: I have everything’hand tool’ as I always have. It was just that particular tool. I am doing some woodwork today. It’ll all be done by hand,quietly and steadily in the workshop,and I can listen to the radio and hear the kettle whistling !

Nice to hear someone else who can hang a door too! If I had not followed my trade,I would have been a chippy myself.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
steptoe

Post by steptoe »

jansman wrote: Tue Nov 08, 2022 7:49 am
steptoe wrote: Tue Nov 08, 2022 7:44 am
:lol: I have everything’hand tool’ as I always have. It was just that particular tool. I am doing some woodwork today. It’ll all be done by hand,quietly and steadily in the workshop,and I can listen to the radio and hear the kettle whistling !

Nice to hear someone else who can hang a door too! If I had not followed my trade,I would have been a chippy myself.
Yse jansman nothing more satisfying than working with hand tools , i refurbish gun stocks and all done by hand and when they are finished i love the look people give like wow where did you buy that or where did you get that done
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

steptoe wrote: Mon Nov 07, 2022 11:46 pm just wondering if anuone knows of a place to get the cheap little bistro stoves i have most types of cooker but just thought if i have one of these in the bedroom we can have our tea if the power cuts happen

Ok i know andy might know lol i think andy i am going to change you name andy the oracle lol , now do you look anything like johnny vegas

I'd go for the camping gaz bistro 3

New model few more safety features than the el cheapo jobbies . Can be had for £24 in Halfords/ go outdoors

https://www.halfords.com/camping/cookin ... 33094.html

Go outdoors website is down atm

Coupled with these cartridges
Screenshot_20221108-101006.png
Butane and propane mix will work longer in the cold over butane or isobutane.... They also have a safety valve in case of over pressure
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
jennyjj01

Post by jennyjj01 »

My God. Looking around on ebay, there are some 400mAh being flogged for the same price.
Graceful Degradation! Prepping's objective summed up in two words. Turning Disaster into Mild Inconvenience by the power of fore-thought

Not Feeling Optimistic. Let me be wrong
rik_uk3

Post by rik_uk3 »

Lidl were selling cheap USB memory sticks, 128gb £9.99 and 256gb for £17.99 so I picked up two of each, brand is Intenso Ultra Line and you can get them on ebay for the same price.

Ran speed read/write tests and they are fast.

I'm loading the 256gb with films/tv shows, ideal for using with a laptop during power cuts or on holiday (we're off for some winter sun on Gran Canaria).

Remember 'back up then back up the back ups and then back up that back up.
Richard
South Wales UK
Retired, spending the children's inheritance.
steptoe

Post by steptoe »

Hi hope this is not off topic anyone know where i can buy the small water tight boxes they are about 6 in x 4 in i want to make up a few of these as fire starter boxes ie a clipper in there a spare flint wheel and flint and so on i have got the old chinese plastic tubs you know the ones rice comes in we use them but we are looking at making some better ones .
We looked at the old 2oz baccie tins but feel they are to small to get a few bits in ie some fat wood some cotton wool and so on , also may be =some wirewool as touch that on a 9v battery and bingo fire , ok hoping someone may know a cheap place i have hunted the bay and the amazon forrest lol
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

steptoe wrote: Fri Nov 11, 2022 5:32 pm Hi hope this is not off topic anyone know where i can buy the small water tight boxes they are about 6 in x 4 in i want to make up a few of these as fire starter boxes ie a clipper in there a spare flint wheel and flint and so on i have got the old chinese plastic tubs you know the ones rice comes in we use them but we are looking at making some better ones .
We looked at the old 2oz baccie tins but feel they are to small to get a few bits in ie some fat wood some cotton wool and so on , also may be =some wirewool as touch that on a 9v battery and bingo fire , ok hoping someone may know a cheap place i have hunted the bay and the amazon forrest lol

Something like this?

https://boxesandcases.co.uk/products/ma ... 6yEALw_wcB
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine