Pepper fail during power outage

How are you preparing
jennyjj01

Re: Pepper fail during power outage

Post by jennyjj01 »

Power returned at about 9:30 pm. First job was to remove that blasted key from inside the door. Then charge the phone from near flat.
Yorkshire Andy wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2024 7:35 pm Any manual over ride for the roller shutter?

Time to start thinking of a aux power input for the garage to power the place from the outside to get the shutter up
Definitely need to plan something. I think the up and over door operates off a 12V? transformer, so maybe battery backup.
GillyBee wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2024 6:57 am Presumably not the sort of lock/door you can jiggle until the key falls out the other side. What a nightmare!
The garage is a veritable fortress. No manual key for the electric up and over. It can be opened from the inside with a pull cord or outside by remote. Side door is a beast with 3* Eurolock. No windows. In WW3 or civil disorder, it might be the safe-room.

Had this been a trip out of the circuit breaker instead of a street-wide power cut, then entry would have been by tearing an expensive hole in the fabric of the door frame. Even there, tools are inside the garage :(
pseudonym wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2024 7:06 am Not a fail,

1. a learning experience for you.

2. a teaching experience for us.

a win win for everyone all at a cost of a missing cuppa and a takeaway. :mrgreen:
That's why I share my embarrassment. It was a carvery, not a take-out.

Lessons learned:
A fall-back side door is useless if an idiot leaves the key in, or if shite is stacked just inside.
Had the 'good' car been inside, then I had no USB-c charge facilities for the phone or chromebook.
Essentials like the camping stove, + bottled water and some other preps were sealed in the garage, so I couldn't even make a brew. Break in tools were also in the garage, except a spade and an azuda.
Investigate manual 'break in' over ride by extending the pull cord to something we could fish for from outside.
Investigate battery back-up
Check the spare remote from time to time.
Graceful Degradation! Prepping's objective summed up in two words. Turning Disaster into Mild Inconvenience by the power of fore-thought

Not Feeling Optimistic. Let me be wrong
ForgeCorvus

Post by ForgeCorvus »

The one thing thats better then learning from your mistakes, is learning from someone else's.
jennyjj01 wrote:"I'm not in the least bit worried because I'm prepared: Are you?"
Londonpreppy wrote: At its core all prepping is, is making sure you're not down to your last sheet of loo roll when you really need a poo.
"All Things Strive" Gd Tak 'Gar
jennyjj01

Post by jennyjj01 »

ForgeCorvus wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2024 4:37 pm The one thing thats better then learning from your mistakes, is learning from someone else's.
Happy to take one for the team. :)
I certainly learned stuff.
USB-C charging bolstered.
Garage access bolstered. To be made mains independent. Being reconsidered.
Some garage based resources brought in-house.
CE Boiler to made mains independent.
Spade & Azada to be secured away. They would have been the tools of access of last resort. If I could use them to force access, then so could billy shed burglar.

There's always things to learn.
Graceful Degradation! Prepping's objective summed up in two words. Turning Disaster into Mild Inconvenience by the power of fore-thought

Frnc

Post by Frnc »

Good job it was a temp outage and not teotwawki. You really got the central heating on in June? Forcast is getting warmer next week. Jet stream's been more northerly than usual.

Sounds like all you need to do is not leave the key in the side door. Maybe do a daily check of that, or weekly, at least. I have stuff like that in Apple Calendar and Reminders app. Make sure you have a spare key somewhere.
jennyjj01

Post by jennyjj01 »

Frnc wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2024 10:19 am Good job it was a temp outage and not teotwawki. You really got the central heating on in June?

Sounds like all you need to do is not leave the key in the side door. Maybe do a daily check of that, or weekly, at least. I have stuff like that in Apple Calendar and Reminders app. Make sure you have a spare key somewhere.
key left in was a stupid fail. Usually lives in the house in a designated place with many spares.
Ch is on for hot water only. Combi.

Ara

Post by Ara »

Instead of calling it a "fail", call it a "learning experience", which, of course, it was.
Frnc

Post by Frnc »

jennyjj01 wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2024 11:44 am Ch is on for hot water only. Combi.
Ah, I'm with you. Combi also. I turn the heating side of it to OFF on the thermostat at the end of April, but the hot water still works.